Queen’s 20s made the short journey to Ravenscraig Regional Sports Facility in Motherwell  to play Airdrieonians in their eleventh SPFL Development League West fixture.

The last time we played Airdrie, in October, the score was 2-1 in the opposition’s favour.

Despite it being mid December the weather was mild and dry for the 8:00pm fixture. A blustery wind swept across the pitch as the teams took to the field.

Airdrie kicked off with a whirlwind and Queen’s found themselves 2 goals down before they had really kicked a ball.

One minute into the game Airdrie took the lead. From a forward drive through the middle the ball was played out to the Airdrie number 11 left side of goal just outside the penalty box. He skipped past a Queen’s defender and hit the ball low across Queen’s keeper Marc Waters into the far corner of the net.

One minute later the same number 11 almost make it two with a cracking shot from 20 yards which hit the bar.

Immediately after that Airdrie increase their lead. A corner on the right resulted in the ball played into the Queen’s box. The young Spiders defenders failed to react quickly, however the Airdrie number 3 did and headed the ball into the net.

Three minutes into the game and Queen’s were 2 down and hadn’t really ventured into the Airdrie half of the pitch.

The strong and quite physical Airdrie team continued to press a high level game, high up the park, giving the young Spiders very little time on the ball to attempt to build play.

After 30 minutes Queen’s began to find a bit more space and started to challenge the Airdrie defence however with not much impact.

Two minutes later Queen’s had their first shot on goal. Indecision in the Airdrie defence allowed Calvin McGrory a one on one with the Airdrie keeper. Unfortunately, for Calvin, his shot sneaked just outside the far post.

Half time: Airdrieonians 2 Queen’s Park 0

The second half started with Airdrie further increasing their lead.

From their first attack their number 9 was upended inside the box. The referee awarded a penalty. The Airdrie number 9 took the spot kick himself, sending the ball wide of Marc Waters.

Queen’s did not let this early set back get them down. They upped their game and started to push Airdrie back.

In the 62nd minute Anton Houghton took a head knock and was replaced by Ali Miller.

Coach Alan Mahood freshened things up in the 81st minute made a double substitution with Ross McDonald and Joseph Manderson off and Marcus Connolly and Andy McGlaughlin on.

Liam Brown limped off the pitch in the 83rd minute after a heavy tackle. Queen’s had used up their 3 subs so had to play the reminder of the game with 10 men.

The game had lost much of its potiency after the penalty. Queen’s enjoyed much more possession but could not turn that into goals. Airdrie were content to knock the ball about.

In the 87th minutre Queen’s got a consolation goal when Billy Mortimer pulled one back. Calvin McGrory won possession in midfield. He passed the ball to Billy Mortimer who was left of goal 25 yards out.. Billy took a touch and fired a low shot past the keeper from 20 yards out. A well taken goal.

Full time: Airdrieonians 3 Queen’s Park 1

The young Spider’s team were up against a strong and experienced Airdrie side tonight.  After losing two goals in the first 3 minutes of play they settled down and fought their way back into the game.  As in previous games they need to covert opportunities into goals to ease the pressure.

Queen’s Park: Marc Waters, Ross McDonald (81mins Andy McGlaughlin), Jordan Pender, Anton Houghton (62mins Ali Miller), Andy Henderson, Cammy Foy, Joseph Manderson (81mins Marcus Connolly), Calvin McGrory, Billy Mortimer, Liam Brown, Fabio Ribero.

Subs: Owen Stott