Our 20s travelled to Coatbridge to take on Albion Rovers last night in the SPFL Development League West.

The last time the two team met, in mid September, the score was 0-0.

Despite the rain during the day a cool but dry night welcomed both sides onto the grass of the Exsel Group Stadium (formally Cliftonhill).

Albion Rovers started the game brightly.  They moved the ball about and pushed the Spiders back into their half.

In the 6th minute Albion Rovers had the first shot at goal when their number 8 picked the ball up 30 yards our and fired in a shot which Owen Stott handled comfortably. An early warning that Rovers would shoot at every opportunity on the wet surface.

Two minutes later Ewan MacPerson nearly capitalised on indecision between the Rovers keeper and defender but the ball was cleared away from danger.

In the 11th minute a great run down the left wing by Liam Brown resulted in a free kick just outside the Rovers box.  Bryan Wharton took the kick but the Rovers keeper held onto the shot.

In the 17th minute Rovers took the lead.From a long clearance by the Rovers centre half their number nine forced his way into the Queen’s box and shot.  Owen Stott blocked the shot only for the Rovers number 11 to knock the rebound into the net.

In the 24th minute Albion Rovers doubled their lead.  The ball was played into the middle of the pitch from wide left.  The Rovers number 7 picked the ball up 30 yards from goal and fired in a tremendous strike which beat Owen Stott at the far post.

Despite the score, it was a fairly even game with both sides contesting for domination of the ball.  Queen’s were guilty of giving the ball away too easily by either poor or too hurried passing after solid defence work won the ball back.  Albion Rovers were more direct in their attack.

Half time: Albion Rovers 2 Queen’s Park 0

Queen’s opened the second half with their first proper chance on goal.  The ball was played into the Rovers box from wide right.  Joe Manderson stepped onto the ball and hit a shot just wide of goal.

Rovers nearly added to their lead a minute lated with an arching cross into the Queen’s box.  An old fashioned ‘Stramash’ followed and the ball was eventually cleared.

In the 54th minute Albion Rovers hit the post.  Their number ten broke fast and hit the ball across the keeper from 20 yards only for the ball to hit the far post.

The rest of the second half continued with Queen’s pushing to get back in the game.  The had most of the possession but could not get that final ball to open the Rovers defence.  Albion Rovers continued to look dangerous on the fast break.

Full time: Albion Rovers 2 Queen’s Park 0

Despite the amount of possession the young Spiders had their decision making and final pass failed to carve out many chances.

Queen’s Park: Owen Stott, Jordan Pender (Ross McDonald 62 mins), Cammy Foy, Bryan Wharton, Craig McLeish, Calvin McGrory, Liam Brown, Billy Mortimer(Fabio Ribero 73 mins), Ewan MacPherson, Ali Miller (Sam Mackenzie 56 mins), Joe Manderson

Subs: Andy Henderson