A penalty shoot-out handed Airdrie a bonus point in the Spiders’ third game of the Premier Sports Cup after a stalemate in 90 minutes.

Laurie Ellis made just one change to the team that faired well against Motherwell on Wednesday, as defender Charlie Fox came in for Darren Lyon with Jake Davidson moving into midfield.

A glorious day saw Airdrie the visitors to Firhill after their opening draw in the Cup against Annan, with the league two side taking the bonus point after penalties.

An early miscue at the back from Stuart Morrison gave Airdrie the first opening of the match but a poor finish from Salim Kouider-Aissa after he ran through on goal, spared the defender’s blushes.

Up the other end, Calum Biggar registered the first shot on target of the game as his placed side-foot effort was comfortable enough for Max Currie.

Currie was called into action again not long later as Tommy Robson lined up a drive from the left, his shot was parried across the six-yard area and just evaded the on-rushing Simon Murray.

With 18 minutes on the clock, Murray was on the end of an even better chance as Lewis Moore dug out a cross to the back-post before the striker’s nod back across goal required a finger-tip save to deny the Spiders the lead.

Mid-way through the first period, there was a clear indication of the high temperatures in sunny Partick as the referee called a water break, we are unlikely to see many more of those this season…

Much like on Wednesday, the chances were coming thick and fast to Murray up top, this time he fired just wide from inside the area on the stroke of half-time.

Despite Airdrie having the ball in the net – this time Queen’s were saved by the offside flag – the hosts edged the first 45 with Murray looking dangerous as always and keeping Currie in goal busy.

Just after the break, the best chance of the match fell to Liam Brown, who had time and space inside the area but once again Currie was there to make a strong save.

Whilst Queen’s were on top, a free header fell to Calum Gallagher who couldn’t direct it goalwards from yards out as the score remained 0-0 on the hour mark.

A sustained period of pressure from the home side followed with Murray testing the diamonds ‘keeper with two thumping long range efforts.

The game was predominately being played in the Airdrie half with Grant Gillespie next to draw a save from just outside the box before a second break for the players to grab some much needed refreshments.

Despite their second half dominance, there looked to be trouble for Queen’s as Kouider-Aïssa was brought down in the box for a penalty kick.

The striker duly stepped up for Airdrie but Wullie Muir stood strong to brilliantly make the save high to his left.

Up the other end, after neat play, Murray burst through with the goal in his sights but an excellent last ditch tackle from Craig Watson denied him the chance to find the net.

With the game on a knife-edge going into the closing stages, it seemed both teams were set for penalties after putting plenty into the game and that turned out to be the case.

In the shoot-out, Muir replicated his efforts from 12 yards as he saved from Callum Fordyce before Gillespie sent Currie the wrong way for 1-0.

Kouider-Aissa made amends after his earlier miss with Robson also scoring for the Spiders.

Muir got his hands to Josh Kerr’s penalty which did ultimately find the net before Currie denied Murray at 2-2.
Off the bench, Bob McHugh made it 3-3 after Watson had netted Airdrie’s fourth penalty.

More excellent goalkeeping from Muir to deny Agnew, set things up for Brown to win it but his penalty hit the post.

Calum Gallagher sent his kick into the roof of the net to settle things as Biggar saw his well saved by Currie.

Another encouraging performance from the spiders which just lacked that final finish to find net.

Queen’s Park: Muir, Doyle (C), Davidson, Morrison, Robson, Fox, Gillespie, Moore (McHugh 85’), Brown, Biggar, Murray. Subs not used: Ferrie, Lyon, Gillies, Yeats, Bannon, Nicol, Mahon, Mauchin.

Airdrieonians: Currie, Wardrop, Quitongo, Lyons (Ritchie 74’), Fordyce, Allan (Kerr 63’) , Agnew, Gallagher, McDonald, Kouider-Aissa. Subs not used: Cantley, McCabe.

Referee: Graham Grainger