The Spiders made the short journey north to Broadwood for Saturday knowing that a victory would have ended old foe Clyde’s title aspirations but, in all honesty, it turned out to be an afternoon to forget for those of a Queen’s Park persuasion.

Gaffer Mark Roberts named a starting line-up which featured two changes from that which lost to Annan a week previous as Kurtis Roberts and Calvin McGrory returned from their respective injuries to replace Dom McLaren and Billy Mortimer, McLaren presumably out through injury and Mortimer dropping to the bench.

It was the home side who got the proceedings under way and they wasted no time in going forward, winning a free kick 30 yards from goal which John Rankin smashed into the Spiders wall.

The Bully Wee won the first corner of the match which Rankin delivered, the ball eventually falling to Love at the back post who couldn’t keep his acrobatic effort low enough to trouble Jordan Hart.

Queen’s made their first venture forward just a couple of minutes later but that was halted by Tom Lang who clattered Kieran Moore and was lucky to escape a booking by referee Duncan Williams.

It was the 12th minute before Jordan Hart was called into action but the keeper was alert to tip Scott Rumsby’s header over the bar, Love heading wide from Rankin’s corner moments later.

Having spent the majority of the opening 15 minutes camped inside our own half, Ruth worked Queen’s first chance of the match in the 15th minute. The youngster showed great composure to hold the ball up before a quick one two with Kurtis Roberts allowed him to find space to get a shot away, unfortunately the end product let the young striker down as his low effort was comfortably saved by Currie in the Clyde goal.

Ruth was again involved just a minute later but a perfectly timed tackle from McStay prevented the youngster getting another sight at goal.

After a slow start Queen’s had found their feet and in the 17th minute broke down the right through McLean, the less said about the wide man’s delivery the better though as it sailed high and out of play, much to the frustration of the Queen’s players in the box.

Gibson went into the book in the 24th minute and Scott McLean followed him just a minute later after a cynical foul on Rankin who had knocked the ball beyond him before being upended as he looked to break forward.

The Bully Wee had their first clear cut chance of the game just before the half hour mark as Goodwillie capitalised on hesitant defending before blazing his effort well off target from the edge of the box. A let off for the Spiders defence but a warning shot of what was to come from the clinical front man.

Five minutes later and Clyde were ahead. Love was played in on the right before his cut back found Goodwillie who was able to tap home from close range, giving Jordan Hart no chance. Queen’s players, along with the vocal travelling support claimed in vain for offside but ultimately poor defending had been our undoing once again and the home side had got the goal that kept their title dream alive.

The remaining ten minutes of the first half were uneventful with referee William’s awarding several free kicks which halted the flow of the game.

The home side were to lose the influential John Rankin just before the break after an innocuous coming together with Galt. The midfielder departed on a stretcher, looking to have suffered a serious injury, and was replaced by the experienced Kevin Nicoll.

Queen’s were to have one more sight at goal before the break but that saw Blair Currie deny Ciaran Summers an equaliser with a great save.

Half time: Clyde 1 Queen’s Park 0

Moore got the second half proceedings underway for the Spiders with the first moment of note coming three minutes in as Summers picked up a booking for a late challenge on Tom Lang.

The first chance of the second half fell to the home side but midfielder Chris McStay sliced his effort into the side netting from a tight angle.

Queen’s had started the second half in a much better manner than the first and Galt had the Spiders’ first chance of the second period but again the home side had keeper Currie to thank as he denied Galt, who was one on one with the keeper, an equaliser in the 54th minute.

Queen’s remained camped deep in the Clyde half but failed to capitalise on numerous balls in to the Bully Wee box, through two corners in quick succession and a McGrory cross.

Clyde replaced Mark Lamont with Scott Banks just after the hour mark and his first real involvement was to come just a few moments later. Gibson was adjudged to have fouled McStay on the edge of the box and Banks was presented with the free kick in a dangerous position, thankfully for Queen’s the youngster curled his effort well over the bar.

The game was finished as a contest with just over 15 to play when the home side doubled their lead. They broke forward at pace and Banks found Love who had the space and time to control it before smashing a low effort past Hart off the inside of the post and into the back of the net.

In the immediate aftermath the goal scorer was replaced by Norwegian youngster Kristoffer Syversten.

Mark Roberts opted to make his first, and second, substitution of the match as Lewis Magee and Calvin McGrory departed to be replaced by Jamie McKernon and Josh Black, who was making his Queen’s debut.

Unfortunately for Queen’s the substitutes had little time to get involved in the action before we found ourselves three down. Clyde substitute Syversen had an immediate impact as his cut back into the heart of the Spiders box found Raymond Grant who was able to fire beyond Hart from close range. It was a clinical finish from the Bully Wee midfielder but once again we had been masters of our own downfall in making it all too easy for the home side.

The last ten minutes saw chances at both ends as Goodwillie and the Summers went close but there was to be no further scoring.

Full time: Clyde 3 Queen’s Park 0

Clyde: Blair Currie, Barry Cuddihy, Martin McNiff, Tom Lang, Scott Rumsby, Raymond Grant, Mark Lamont (62’ Scott Banks), Christopher McStay, David Goodwillie, John Rankin (45’ Kevin Nicoll), Alistair Love (75’ Kristoffer Syvertsen).

Unused substitutions: Kieran Hughes, Ross Lyon, Kieran Duffie, Jack Boyle.

Queen’s Park: Jordan Hart, Scott McLean, Ciaran Summers, Lewis Magee (76’ Jamie McKernon), Gerry McLauchlan, Scott Gibson, Calvin McGrory (76’ Josh Black), Kurtis Roberts, Michael Ruth, David Galt, Kieran Moore.

Unused substitutes: Kieran McDougall, Lewis Hawke, Alan Gow, Billy Mortimer, Steven Bradley.

Referee: Duncan Williams.

Attendance: 1,012.