Queen’s Park rose up to eighth place, a point ahead of Inverness Caledonian Thistle in the Championship table, with 90 minutes of the season remaining thanks to a dazzling 5-0 success over Arbroath at Gayfield.

Injury ensured that Danny Wilson remained out of the Spiders line-up again with Jack Thomson absent for the first time this season due to a knock as well. Head Coach Callum Davidson made other changes with Zach Mauchin as well as Stuart McKinstry moving to the bench with Alex Bannon, Jack Turner and Cillian Sheridan handed starting jerseys.

The hosts kicked off and Zak Delaney was able to wriggle free and earn a corner after just 15 seconds which Will Tizzard headed away.

A minute later Queen’s threatened for the first time when Dom Thomas darted across the half-way line and slipped a pass out to the right for Louis Longridge who curled the ball in-behind the Red Lichties defence with Max Boruc racing from his line to smother the danger.

Ruari Paton almost came up with a goal on three minutes when he created space for himself at the edge of the Arbroath box and looked for the far corner with a low drive with his effort flashing a foot wide.

The Spiders came close again with ten minutes played when Thomas led a charge up the pitch before feeding Jack Turner who carried the move further towards the home goal. Turner found Paton on the left and his low cross was met by Sheridan who brought out a fine save from Boruc from close range.

A goal arrived on 17 minutes and it came from skipper THOMAS who lashed home from the edge of the box after he had started a move with another pass wide to Paton.

The PFA Scotland nominated striker darted inwards and looked to find Sheridan who, after some ping-pong in the box, teed up Thomas to hook his shot past Boruc.

Four minutes later there was a terrific chance for QP to double their lead when a Sheridan pass squeezed through to Thomas who ran clear from 40 yards before slipping a pass to Paton who sent a shot under pressure from retreating defenders over.

A second goal did arrive for Queen’s on 27 minutes when Turner dropped a pass between the Arbroath defence and their goal with SHERIDAN getting the ball under control and then firing high past Boruc from 17 yards.

It got even better for Davidson’s side eight minutes from the break when Alex Bannon sent the ball forward and Sheridan cut it back into the path of JOSH SCOTT who drilled into the far corner for his first ever senior goal.

Sheridan had another glimpse of goal 30 seconds from the break when he got on the end of a looping pass however an Arbroath boot got in the way and diverted The Sherriff’s shot past for a corner.

Half time – Arbroath 0 Queen’s Park 3

Queen’s kicked off the second half shooting towards their happy and noisy band of followers however the fans held their breath within a minute as Sean Welsh went down with an ankle injury.

The midfielder played on as the visitors created a chance on 50 minutes when Paton won a challenge and picked out Sheridan with a pass with the experienced striker sending a low shot wide from 22 yards.

Arbroath threatened on 50 minutes when Leighton McIntosh was allowed to turn on the 18-yard line and fire for goal with Calum Ferrie carefully watching his effort as it cleared his goal.

WELSH showed great footwork to make it 4-0 on 59 minutes when he accepted a lofted free-kick from Thomas and did some juggling on his right boot before thumping home from close-range.

Queen’s kept on looking for more and Paton was inches out with a curling free-kick that was given after Sheridan had been floored with a fifth goal, netted by Paton, ruled out seconds later, following an intricate passing move after an offside decision was given against the unlucky Sheridan.

Arbroath enjoyed a decent spell of possession with 20 minutes left and Queen’s were grateful that Bannon was in the right place to head away a dangerous looking Ryan Dow cross.

Queen’s Park were back on the attack on 78 minutes with Paton skipping past Jess Norey before having his fiercely struck shot charged down.

Four became five on 80 minutes when a raking Charlie Fox 60-yard pass released Scott on the left and the wing-back sent a pass across the pitch to THOMAS who switched the ball from his left foot onto his right and curled an 18-yard shot high past Boruc.

In the final minute a deft flick from substitute Liam McLeish looked to have released Paton however Scott Stewart got back to cover and the chance for a sixth was lost.

Queen’s Park – Calum Ferrie, Alex Bannon, Will Tizzard (Tommy Robson 56), Charlie Fox, Louis Longridge, Sean Welsh (Zach Mauchin 84), Jack Turner, Josh Scott (Cameron Bruce 84), Dom Thomas (Stuart McKinstry 81), Cillian Sheridan (Liam McLeish 81), Ruari Paton.
Unused substitutes – Jack Wills (G/k), Scott Williamson, Lewis Reid, Mackenzie Carse.

Arbroath – Max Boruc, Aaron Steele (Innes Murray 46), Connor Teale, Ricky Little (Jess Norey 68), Zak Delaney, David Gold, Scott Stewart, Adam Mackinnon (Craig Slater 63), Michael McKenna, Leighton McIntosh (Jay Bird 63), Ryan Dow.
Unused substitutes – Derek Gaston (G/k), Keaghan Jacobs, Mark Stowe, Kyle Robinson, Darren Lyon.

Referee – Kevin Clancy.

Starting Eleven