Queen’s Park made it two wins in a row as they picked up their first success on the road with a 2-1 success at Arbroath. An own goal in the first half and a Scott Williamson goal after the break had the visitors two ahead and despite the hosts pulling one back Owen Coyle’s side saw things out.

The Spiders made two changes to the side that saw off Partick Thistle 3-2 last weekend with Lee Kilday and Stephen Eze replacing Charlie Fox and Alex Bannon who dropped to the bench with Fox missing from the match day squad.

New loan recruit, Celtic striker Johnny Kenny, was also a substitute against an Arbroath side that included former Spider Ricky Little with the defender directly up against former Gayfield favourite Simon Murray who was again skippering the Glasgow outfit.

The Red Lichties also listed Scott Stewart who is the son of Coyle’s right hand man Sandy Stewart with Luke Donnelly, who grabbed a memorable Hampden double for Queen’s against Arbroath back in 2018, also in the hosts’ XI that took the field.

Murray had the first attempt at goal however the striker’s 22-yard drive rose and cleared Derek Gaston’s bar. Despite having the look of a blissful summer’s day, the wind that Gayfield is known for had got up early with Gaston’s by-kick blown well off course.

Queen’s forced two corners during the eighth minute with the second only cleared as far as Dom Thomas who tried a chip however Gaston was able to watch it harmlessly drift pass.

With 14 minutes gone Little was forced to kick clear after the ball bounced over Gaston’s head and Murray sent a cross fizzing its way along the home side’s six-yard line.

Arbroath were not so fortunate on 18 minutes when Thomas released Murray on the left and when his shot was blocked by Gaston’s legs it hit THOMAS O’BRIEN and bounced back into the net.

Persistence from Savoury almost added a second two minutes later when he cut in the right and after working his way through three tackles the striker fired goalward with Gaston having to move sharply to save.

With 32 minutes gone Jack Thomson almost came up with a ‘Goal of the Season’ contender as his double drag-back created space at the edge of the area with Gaston making a fine leaping stop to keep the midfielder’s well-struck drive out.

A minute later Stewart sent in a shot towards the Queen’s goal with home appeals for a penalty for handball against Tommy Robson brushed aside by referee Steven Kirkland.

Nine minutes from the break Savoury was denied again by Gaston with Murray unable to force the loose ball home before Savoury sent it high over.

Gaston prevented his side going further behind once more two minutes from the break when he rushed from goal to thwart Savoury after a great run forward and perfect sliding pass to his left from Jack Davidson.

Arbroath forced a corner within a minute of the restart and as the visitors looked to clear Kilday sliced his clearance out for another flag-kick that was put behind Calum Ferrie’s goal.

Queen’s showed they were not going to sit on their lead as Robson led a charge forward before picking out Williamson who fired for goal. Gaston pushed the ball into Savoury’s path and when he fired it back towards goal Murray added a subtle flick only for two home defenders to pop up on the line and clear.

Just before the hour mark a wind-assisted clearance from Gaston found Bobby Linn on the left and the evergreen striker cut in and sent a shot curling just inches over Ferrie’s bar.

Linn came much closer on 66 minutes when he shot directly from a 30-yard free-kick with Ferrie reaching high to his left to touch the ball over.

Arbroath boss Dick Campbell made a quadruple substitution on 68 minutes however it was the Black and White Hoops that struck the second goal from a fine flowing move six minutes later.

Thomas picked out Murray who released Savoury and he ran towards Gaston’s goal where rather than shooting he rolled the ball into the path of WILLIAMSON who tapped home much to the delight of the away fans behind the goal.

Arbroath hit back quickly with Kieran Shanks bundling the ball in from close range on 78 minutes after his first attempt had struck the post with appeals for handball against the substitute brushed aside.

Savoury fired the chance to re-establish the visitors two goal advantage when he fired over after a surging run by Thomson with Kilday keeping the lead intact when he headed a corner away from his own goalline.

In the final minute Shanks wriggled clear and fired for goal with Ferrie pushing his effort away before Robson cleared.

In injury time Arbroath forced a corner that Gaston charged forward to meet however Eze leaped to head clear and ensure the three points headed south.

Queen’s Park: Calum Ferrie, Jake Davidson, Lee Kilday, Stephen Eze, Tommy Robson, Grant Savoury, Jack Thomson, Malachi Boateng, Dom Thomas (Louis Longridge 85′), Scott Williamson (Johnny Kenny 89′), Simon Murray. Subs not used: Liam Brown, Cameron Bruce, Alex Bannon, Patrick Jarrett, Lewis Reid, Lennon Connolly, Jacques Heraghty (G/k).

Arbroath: Derek Gaston, Jason Thomson, Colin Hamilton, Ricky Little, Thomas O’Brien, Nicky Low, Scott Stewart (Dale Hilson 68′), Luke Donnelly (Kieran Shanks 68′), Michael McKenna (Mason Hancock 74′), Daniel Fosu (Deri Corfe 68′), Bobby Linn (Scott Allan 68′). Subs not used: Keaghan Jacobs, Dylan Paterson, James Craigen, Cammy Gill (G/k)

Starting Eleven