Queen’s Park enjoyed a 3-0 SPFL Trust Trophy Tie success over Bala Town at Maes Tegidh thanks to first half goals from Jack Turner and Barry Hepburn and a late, late counter from Ruari Paton.

With Callan McKenna on international duty and Ben McPherson cup-tied, and also on international duty, Head Coach Robin Veldman handed a start to Calum Ferrie between the sticks and also to Louis Longridge in defence.

Aaron Healy was back in action after injury and Jack Thomson was assigned a defensive role on the back of his performance at Raith Rovers last weekend with Will Tizzard moving onto the bench.

Liam Russell was also a replacement after the shot-stopper returned from a loan spell at Gartcairn on a seven-day emergency basis with Queen’s taking the field in their red away tops and white home shorts and socks backed by a noisy travelling support who welcomed their favourites onto the pitch.

Queen’s kicked off and Thomson, Ruari Paton and Tommy Robson combined in the opening minute to create danger. A minute later Paton was inches out from connecting with a header with Robson crowded out as he looked to return the ball into the danger area.

With three minutes gone a high ball to the back post from Jack Spong was taken down with aplomb by Dom Thomas with the Queen’s skipper then thundering a shot back across goal only to see his effort crack against the woodwork with Healy sending a rebound just over.

Four minutes later Bala came close as Osebi Abadaki cut in from the left and forced Ferrie into a diving save with Aeron Edwards driving wide from the loose ball.

On 18 minutes fine passing on the right between Thomas and Hepburn resulted in a cross to Healy on the left with the youngster sending an effort flashing wide.

Bala earned a corner shortly on 22 minutes that Edwards swung over however a brave clearing header from JACK TURNER kick-started a move that led to a goal at the other end for himself.
Turner picked himself up and raced up the park to join his team-mates who were being taken up field by Thomas.

Hepburn joined in and he slipped in a pass to Turner, who had darted through the home defence, and took his time before sliding a shot under Kelland Absalom.

On 34 minutes Queen’s looked to grab their second when Longridge advanced forward before sending in a low 25 yarder that Absalom had to dive low to his left to save.

Seven minutes from the break Robson and Healy worked together to give Paton a glimpse of goal with the striker’s shot charged down before it could trouble the Bala goal.

On 43 minutes home appeals for a penalty were ignored as a long throw came off Fox with Healy curling just wide before Ferrie made a fine stop from Edwards.

A minute into injury time Queen’s added a second when Thomas rolled a path through the home defence for HEPBURN to run onto and find the far corner.

Three minutes into the second half Bala had a shooting chance directly from a free kick with Ferrie well positioned to hold Naim Arsan’s curling dead-ball.

Hepburn warmed the hands of Absalom a minute later following a corner and Paton sent a volley an inch wide as The Spiders looked to increase their lead further.

George Newall almost brought his side back into things with a flashing drive on 54 minutes with home skipper Nathan Peate picking up a yellow card shortly afterwards for ending a dancing run from Healy in a crude fashion.

Just after the hour mark Thomas lobbed just over the bar with Peate involved in a more positive fashion on 64 minutes with a far post header that drifted wide of goal.

Queen’s were soon back on the attack and Longridge was denied by a last-ditch tackle after he had driven deep into Bala territory.

On 76 minutes Longridge played a one-two with Hepburn and reached the by-line before chipping a cross to the far post however there were no team-mates in position to take advantage.

Fox was tripped at the edge of the Bala box with 10 minutes left and after some jostling Thomas drilled a pass to Spong who saw a first time shot blocked.

Ricky Waugh was given his debut as coach Veldman made a triple substitution and on 86 minutes Paton cut through the home defence before blasting a shot against Peate.

Queen’s then looked for a spot-kick when Thomson tumbled however referee Aaron Wyn Jones was not interested.

Paton was not to be denied and four minutes into added on time the striker accepted a pass from Turner and skipped away from Peate and blasted home.

Queen’s Park – Calum Ferrie, Louis Longridge, Jack Thomson, Charlie Fox, Tommy Robson (Cameron Bruce 81), Jack Spong (Ricky Waugh 81), Jack Turner, Barry Hepburn (Liam McLeish 81), Dom Thomas, Aaron Healy (Patrick Jarrett 61), Ruari Paton.
Unused substitutes – Liam Russell (G/k), Alex Bannon, Will Tizzard, Lewis Reid, Alex Fairlie.

Bala Town – Kelland Absalom, Olly Shannon, Naim Arsan, Kyle Harrison, Nathan Peate, Aeron Edwards, Paulo Mendes, Nathan Burke (Luke Wall 81), Joe Malkin (Josh Ukek 67), George Newell (Theo Knight 81), Osebi Abadaki.
Unused substitutes – Harri Lloyd (G/k), Ryan Rogers, Joe Nelson, Adam Mitter, Kieran Smith, Ross White.

Referee: Aaron Wyn Jones

Starting Eleven