Despite being on top for long periods Queen’s Park got less than they deserved as they played out a goalless draw against Dunfermline Athletic at the KDM Group East End Park

There were four changes to the starting line-up with Danny Wilson missing out altogether and Cillian Sheridan, Jack Turner and Mackenzie Carse moving to the substitutes’ bench.

Skipper Dom Thomas returned from a thigh problem picked up at Ayr United last month and Charlie Fox was also back for his first football since December with Zach Mauchin along with Stuart McKinstry returning from the kick-off as well.

Former Par Thomas kicked off with Jack Thomson, again occupying a position in defence, given an early touch as he looked to send his side forward with a long pass.

Mauchin did well on two minutes as he decisively won a tackle close to the half-way line and moved forward 25 yards before being crowded out with Fox showing a nice touch shortly afterwards as he extended a leg to cut out a dangerous looking attack.

Fox stepped in to make a couple of timely interceptions as the game ticked towards six minutes and as the hosts continued to probe Calum Ferrie had his first involvement as he raced from goal to smother a pass.

Ferrie had to use his hands again on nine minutes as a cross from Dunfermline’s right was allowed to reach Lewis McCann who saw his first-time effort beaten away.

Queen’s shot-stopper made an even better stop three minutes later when a long throw was met by a volley from Chris Kane at close range however Ferrie leapt left to save.

The Spiders created danger for the first time in sixteen minutes after a fine flowing move involving Ruari Paton, McKinstry and Thomas saw the ball flash across the Dunfermline goal with the sprinting Zach Mauchin collecting it at the far side only to his effort cleared.

Callum Davidson’s side threatened again four minutes later when Paton won the ball thirty yards out and fed McKinstry who cut inside to put the ball on his right foot however the ball took an unpredictable bounce and his chances of curling into the far corner were diminished with the eventual parting shot blocked.

With 28 minutes played Josh Scott looked to get free on the left-hand side of the home box however Miles Welch-Hayes did enough to half his progress and end the attack.

Another long throw generated an opening for the Fife side with Malachi Fagan-Walcott getting on the end of it however Ferrie was perfectly placed to saved.

McKinstry fought and won a challenge 30 yards out eight minutes form the break and that allowed him to pass to Thomas who fired for goal only to see his drive charged down for a corner that was cleared.

A minute later Scott and Thomas combined to send in another cross that Mauchin scampered in to meet with the youngster unable to turn his effort goalward.

Thomson who had only just returned to the pitch after treatment for an injury was a shade short with a pass-back however Ferrie took control and stepped in with a kicked clearance.

Dunfermline created the last chance of the opening half as Matty Todd burst clear before firing over from a good position.

Half time – Dunfermline Athletic 0 Queen’s Park

Paton was alert on 50 minutes to pick up a loose ball 25 yards from the home goal and sent Longridge away on the right only for the return ball to be intercepted.

Thomson required treatment again on 54 minutes and this time he was withdrawn and replaced by Alex Bannon.

As Queen’s adjusted Dunfermline won a corner that Welch-Hayes met but his downward header hit the turf and bounced over.

A lovely dummy from McKinstry set up a lighting attack on 57 minutes as the play ran to Paton with the visitors unfortunately not even rewarded with a corner after their 80-yard dash.

Mauchin and Tizzard did well to deny McCann as he raced into their box and as the play raced to the other end Paton sent a fierce drive just over from 18 yards.

On 62 minutes QP came close after a thrilling move that involved several players and ended when Scott slipped a pass to McKinstry who spun and struck a shot from 10 yards that Deniz Mehmet did well to save.

Mauchin excelled again midway through the second half as Dunfermline’s Tod was set free when a Queen’s corner was cleared by a 50-yard pass from Josh Edwards with Mauchin, the only defender back, taking his time before tacking the striker cleanly in the box.

The hosts threatened through a Chirs Kane header with 20 minutes left that Ferrie needed two attempts to save.

Longridge got on to the end of a Fox 30-yard pass and looked all set to head for goal until he was penalised for a gentle shove.

The Spiders were on top however their frustration grew on 75 minutes when McKinstry worked his way clear 20 yards out only to be tripped by Chris Hamilton who was only shown a yellow card despite the Queen’s man looking to have a clear run on goal.

After a yellow was brandished at Tizzard for his complaints Paton curled the dead-ball over with Thomas booked in the aftermath.

Queen’s kept on pushing and Longridge forced Mehmet into a save at his near post however it was Dunfermline that could have scored on 82 minutes when a short pass forced Ferrie into a sliding tackle at the edge of his box with Tizzard clearing up afterwards.

As the game entered the final minute Kane headed over at one end and Longridge cut in from the right and sent a left footed shot curling over at the other.

Queen’s Park – Calum Ferrie, Jack Thomson (Alex Bannon 54), Will Tizzard, Charlie Fox, Zach Mauchin (Jack Turner 85), Louis Longridge, Sean Welsh, Stuart McKinstry, Josh Scott, Dom Thomas (Cillian Sheridan 81), Ruari Paton.
Unused substitutes – Jack Wills (G/k), Tommy Robson, Cameron Bruce, Scott Williamson, Liam McLeish, Mackenzie Carse.

Dunfermline Athletic – Deniz Mehmet, Josh Edwards, Kyle Benedictus, Chris Hamilton, Kane Ritchie-Hosler, Matty Todd, Lewis McCann (Brad Holmes 80), Sam Fisher (Rhys Breen 86), Chris Kane, Miles Welch-Hayes (Alex Jakubiak 68), Malachi Fagan-Walcott.
Unused substitutes – Max Little (G/k), Joe Chalmers, Owen Moffat, Michael O’Halloran, Taylor Sutherland, Xavier Benjamin.

Referee – Colin Steven.

Starting Eleven