A second half super-strike from Dom Thomas earned Queen’s Park a 1-0 win over Inverness Caledonian Thistle to make it six points from six at the Caledonian Stadium this season.

Head Coach Callum Davidson made three changes with Ben McPherson, Will Tizzard and Stuart McKinstry coming in from the start with Zach Mauchin and Louis Longridge moving to the substitutes’ bench with ex-Inverness favourite Sean Welsh missing out through suspension.

Callan McKenna and Jack Spong departed the club this week however new recruits Joshua Scott and James Crole were listed as replacements with fellow new boy Danny Wilson missing out along with Patrick Jarrett.

Former Spider Jake Davidson moved from the Highlands to Hamilton Academical this week on loan however his former Queen’s Park team-mate Luis Longstaff was on the home side’s bench at a windy stadium.

Jack Thomson lined up in a midfield role as the hosts kicked off with Tizzard and McKinstry quickly involved as the ball was sent into the Queen’s Park half.

With a minute played it looked like Ruari Paton would burst clear however a tackle from Jeremiah Chilokoa-Mullen ended the danger.

On five minutes a clever pass from Jack Turner found Dom Thomas 25 yards out and the skipper fired for goal with his well-struck drive flashing not far over Mark Ridgers’ goal.

Nine minutes later a tug on Thomas’ jersey saw a free-kick awarded to the visitors 30 yards from the Caley goal and the number 11 took the dead-ball himself and curled it onto the head of a diving Alex Bannon with the ball slipping past Ridgers’ left-hand post.

On 17 minutes Inverness were awarded a foul on the left with Cameron Harper’s delivery looking dangerous until Tizzard nodded clear.

Queen’s moved to the other end and Chilokoa-Mullen was booked for bringing Ruari Paton down with the striker taking responsibility for the resulting free-kick that was sent into the arms of Ridgers.

Midway through the opening half Paton was injured in an aerial joust with Remi Savage with the striker having to go off the park for treatment to what looked like a cut eye.

Davidson’s side played with ten men for three minutes with Cammy Kerr failing to take advantage as he sent a shooting opportunity wide.

With half an hour gone Charlie Gilmour was allowed to play a one-two at the edge of the Queen’s Park box before sending a drive goalward that took a deflection and failed to trouble Calum Ferrie.

Inverness created the next chance as well however Ferrie was in the right place to scoop up a shot from Max Anderson.

Five minutes from the break Gilmour came much closer to a goal as he let fly from 20 yards with Ferrie delighted to see the ball rise and land on the roof of his net.

McKinstry eased some of the pressure Queen’s Park had been under with a 30-yard run deep into home territory before squeezed off the ball by Daniel Devine.

Tizzard stepped in to concede a corner with 90 seconds of the half left however Thomas nodded clear before Ferrie beat away another Gilmour effort that swerved in the wind.

Half time – Inverness Caledonian Thistle 0 Queen’s Park 0

The home side were first to threaten after the restart when Billy Mckay twisted and turned before shooting for goal where Ferrie saved.

On 50 minutes a goal arrived at the other end as THOMAS picked up the ball 22 yards out on the right and he slipped inside his marker with a clever flick and drilled a low 18 yard shot out of the reach of the diving Ridgers and into the net.

Inverness looked to hit back quickly, and after Tizzard was booked for a foul on Alex Samuel, goalkeeper Ferrie had to dive to his right to clutch a header from the striker after the free-kick had been whipped in.

Cameron Bruce and Thomas combined to win a corner that landed at the captain’s trusted left foot however this time he was off target.

Scott was given his first taste of Scottish football on the hour mark when he was brought on for Bruce with Mackenzie Carse also coming on for McKinstry.

Carse was quickly into action with the youngster showing his competitive side as he was penalised twice in quick succession for challenges in midfield.

With 66 minutes played Ferrie was called into action once more with the shot-stopper pushing away a Kerr curler with McPherson putting the loose ball past for a corner.

It was to be McPherson’s last involvement as he limped off to be replaced by Longridge with Devine heading the flag-kick over.

On 71 minutes Scott picked up a debut yellow card as he clattered into an Inverness man just seconds after he had been on the end of a thumping challenge himself.

A minute later Thomas tormented the home defence before sending over a cross that looked perfect for Paton to turn in only for Savage to step-in and clear.

Scott popped up in the Thistle box shortly afterwards and was denied a debut goal when his shot struck a defender and went wide of goal.

Longridge made a fine run with seven minutes left with his dangerous cut-back cut out at the expense of another corner.
Inverness were not ready to accept defeat and on 86 minutes Ferrie had to punch away a teasing Nathan Shaw cross Superman style before picking up the loose ball as it was fed back into the Queen’s Park box.

As the game entered injury time Ferrie was on hand to pick up a through ball from Longstaff before Scott was involved again, this time defensively, as he nodded away.

Gilmour had visiting hearts in mouths as he drilled a shot across the face of Ferrie’s goal with Aribim Pepple not able to connect as he slid in.

Thomson was harshly penalised for a foul on Sean McAllister five minutes into added on time however Harper’s free-kick sailed over with Paton withdrawn for new boy Crole before the match restarted.

A strong tackle by Bannon on 97 minutes ensured an away win as he denied Pepple after the ball had been launched deep into the Queen’s half.

Queen’s Park – Calum Ferrie, Ben McPherson (Louis Longridge 68), Alex Bannon, Will Tizzard, Tommy Robson, Cameron Bruce (Mackenzie Carse 60), Jack Thomson, Jack Turner, Stuart McKinstry (Joshua Scott 60), Dom Thomas, Ruari Paton (James Crole 90+6).
Unused substitutes – Sam Kane (G/k), Scott Williamson, Lewis Reid, Zach Mauchin, Callum Hapsell.

Inverness Caledonian Thistle – Mark Ridgers, Cameron Harper, Cammy Kerr, Jeremiah Chilokoa-Mullen (Nikola Ujdur 51), Daniel Devine, Charlie Gilmour, Billy Mckay (Aribim Pepple 74), Max Anderson (Sean McAllister 56), Nathan Shaw, Remi Savage (Luis Longstaff 74), Alex Samuel.
Unused substitutes – Cameron MacKay (G/k), Wallace Duffy, Aaron Doran, Morgan Boyes, Adam Brooks.

Referee: Euan Anderson.

Starting Eleven