Queen’s Park opened up their cinch Championship campaign with a 2-1 success at Inverness Caledonian Thistle thanks to goals from Dom Thomas and Tommy Robson and an all-round strong team performance.

The Spiders made one change to their starting line-up from last weekend with Will Tizzard in central defence with Alex Bannon on the bench against the Highlanders who included former Queen’s Park players Jake Davidson and Luis Longstaff in their side.

The visitors kicked off however it was Caley who forced a corner in the first minute which Wallace Duffy reached however his header failed to trouble 16-year-old Callan McKenna in goal.

On three minutes it looked like Jack Thomson had a very early contender for Goal of the Season as he latched onto a clearance from Davidson and sent a first time 20-yard effort swinging past Mark Ridgers with the ball just clearing the Inverness number one’s goal.

As Robin Veldman’s side kept on pressing Jack Turner fired just past the far post from 12 yards although McKenna had to look lively on seven minutes to beat away a drive from Nathan Shaw.

Tizzard picked up a yellow card on 15 minutes for a challenge on Austin Samuels on the touchline with McKenna moving sharply to end the danger from the dead ball as he took the ball off Duffy’s toes.

A minute later a superbly timed sliding tackle from Charlie Fox stopped what looked a certain goal as he prevented Charlie Gilmour getting a shot away after he had run clear on the Queen’s goal.

Midway through the opening half a long ball from defence from Shaw allowed Billy Mckay to get in behind Fox and Tizzard with McKenna doing well to narrow the striker’s options as he sent his effort flashing wide of goal.

On 27 minutes Robson was harshly booked for a slight tug on Samuels’ jersey on the half-way line with Queen’s mopping up the danger before racing to the other end where a bright run by Thomson was ended in the home box.

On 31 minutes The City Stadium side took the lead when Barry Hepburn robbed Cameron Harper 30 yards out and bore down on the home goal before slipping a pass to skipper THOMAS who cracked home an emphatic drive from 14 yards.

The hosts looked to hit back quickly and two minutes later McKenna had to be perfectly placed to save and hold a 22-yard free kick from Shaw.

On 36 minutes quick thinking from Thomas at a free-kick set up a chance for Jack Spong with Ridgers having to use his legs to block the midfielder’s low drive.

Four minutes from the break Longstaff had a glimpse of goal as Shaw sent over a cross with the former Spider unable to get an effort on target.

In first half injury time McKenna made a sensational one-handed stop as he leapt to his left to push away a shot from Mckay after the Inverness goal-grabber had received a cut-back from the right.

Queen’s also got a scare 30 seconds into the restart when Longstaff nodded down to Samuels six yards out with the striker volleying into the side-netting.

On 48 minutes a second goal did arrive and it was for Veldman’s men as ROBSON kept cool six yards out and passed a shot into the net after a back heel following clever work under pressure from Ruari Paton.

Queen’s came close to adding a third seven minutes into second half when Louis Longridge helped out his attack with a dipping 25 yarder that Ridgers had to claw away from the top corner.

From the resultant corner Turner met a Longridge cross with Ridgers perfectly placed to grab the midfielder’s header.

On 55 minutes Robson almost notched his second this time with a 20-yard right foot shot that Ridgers touched over for a corner.

Longridge excelled in his defensive duties just after the hour mark when he picked Mckay’s pocket 20 yards out after substitute Keith Bray had created an opening.

With another five minutes played Queen’s got a reminder that the points were not safe as Duffy slipped in Bray and McKenna had to produce an excellent stop in a one-on-one situation.

Inverness were looking to pile pressure on their opponents and Tizzard did well to swipe the ball clear for a corner after a strong run and cross from Davidson.

With ten minutes to go Thomas whipped in a free-kick that was met by Scott Williamson however the recently introduced substitute could not get enough direction on his shot and the ball flashed over.

Inverness pulled a goal back on 86 minutes when Davidson reached a corner and headed home from four yards out via the crossbar.

Queen’s looked to bounce back from that disappointment quickly and Turner ventured forward 30 yards and shaped to pass to Williamson before sending a shot whistling inches past from the edge of the box.

Williamson was just off target with a lob before Inverness were awarded a free-kick five minutes into injury time with McKenna showing bravery as he came out to claim it under pressure from Harry Lodovica.

Queen’s Park – Callan McKenna, Louis Longridge, Will Tizzard, Charlie Fox, Tommy Robson, Jack Thomson, Jack Turner, Jack Spong, Barry Hepburn (Aaron Healy 70), Dom Thomas, Ruari Paton (Scott Williamson 79).

Unused substitutes – Calum Ferrie (G/k), Alex Bannon, Cameron Bruce, Rocco Hickey-Fugaccia, Lewis Reid, Patrick Jarrett, Liam McLeish.

Inverness Caledonian Thistle – Mark Ridgers, Wallace Duffy, Cameron Harper, Zak Delaney, Charlie Gilmour (Keith Bray 58), David Carson, Billy Mckay, Austin Samuels (Harry Lodovica 70), Jake Davidson, Luis Longstaff (Lewis Hyde 58), Nathan Shaw (Aaron Doran 78).

Unused substitutes – Cameron MacKay (G/k), Daniel Devine, Max Ram, Robbie Thompson.

Referee: Graham Grainger

Starting Eleven