Queen’s Park paid a heavy price for not taking chances when on top as they exited the Scottish Gas Men’s Scottish Cup at Partick Thistle after a 3-0 defeat.

Head Coach Robin Veldman made just one change to his starting line-up at Firhill with Stuart McKinstry handed his debut in place of Louis Longridge who dropped to the bench.

Jack Thomson kicked off what was the seventh meeting between the clubs in 2023 with McKinstry occupying a position on the left of the Spiders attack.

Fox tried to play the new number 18 in-behind the home defence after 90 seconds however Jamie Sneddon raced to the edge of his area to gather the ball.

Jack Turner was pulled down on the half-way shortly afterwards however referee Sneddon took no further action despite what looked like a promising opportunity opening up.

On seven minutes a lovely move from the visitors was started by a curling Turner pass that found Dom Thomas and the skipper released Ben McPherson on the right with his low cross just cleared off the in-rushing Thomson’s toes.

As Queen’s kept up the pressure a Turner header from six yards out was gathered by Sneddon.

With 12 minutes played another fine pass, this time from Jack Spong, allowed Thomas to drive down the wing and cross for McKinstry who nodded wide.

Thistle created an opening in the following minute when Aidan Fitzpatrick broke away however Alex Bannon stuck out a foot to end the danger at the expense of a corner.

On the quarter of an hour mark the Spiders failed to turn a great chance into a goal Thomas wriggled free from Wasiri Williams and slotted a pass through to McKinstry who sent a shot past the far post.

Fitzpatrick opened up the visiting defence again on 21 minutes but thankfully there were no takers especially as there looked to be a handball in the build-up.

Calum Ferrie made a good save on 25 minutes when Brian Graham popped up unmarked six yards out and fired for goal. An assistant’s flag was raised for offside however that shouldn’t hide the fact that the Queen’s number one had stood his ground well.

Spong picked up a yellow card for a jersey pull, very similar to the earlier foul on Turner, on the half-way line 13 minutes from the break.

Ferrie pulled off an outstanding triple save as he pushed away a Jack McMillan header before jumping up and clawing the ball away as it threatened to loop into the net. The danger was not over as Ben Stanway pounced and fired for goal but again Ferrie was on hand to save.

Queen’s raced to the other end and won a corner that was met by Charlie Fox with the defender’s header flashing off target.

A goal arrived on 37 minutes for the hosts when Blair Alston turned and sent a shot high into the net with the aid of a deflection.

It became 2-0 four minutes later when Steven Lawless sent over a cross from the right wing and Fitzpatrick gave Ferrie no chance from his header.

Half Time – Partick Thistle 2 Queen’s Park 0

The second half started with Thomas and McPherson prominent in taking the game to Thistle however the home defence cleared away a cross that came after a long period of possession.

Thistle attacked for the first time after the restart on 50 minutes and they scored a third as Fitzpatrick exchanged passes with Stanway before slotting into the far corner.

Thomas looked to provide a route back into the game with a drive from 20 yards with Sneddon keeping a close eye on it as it rose and cleared the bar.

Queen’s earned a corner on 58 minutes from which Thomson crumpled to the ground after a challenge from Wasiri Williams however referee Sneddon was not interested in claims for a penalty.

Ferrie and then Tommy Robson denied Lewis Neilson after the defender had pierced the Black and White defence 20 minutes into the resumption.

Barry Hepburn came close to making an instant impact after coming on midway through the second half as he ran onto a slipped pass from Ruari Paton and sent a powerful shot goalward that brought out a good save from Sneddon.

The resultant corner was met again by Fox with the home defence untroubled as his header dropped onto the top of the net.

Queen’s afternoon was summed up 13 minutes from the end when Turner danced his way into the box and found Thomas who created space before sending a thumping shot that beat Sneddon but crashed off the top of the bar.

With three minutes left Hepburn cut a pass back into the path of a charging Thomson who sent a fierce first time drive a foot wide with Paton denied an even later consolation when Williams slid in and took the ball just as the striker was set to shoot.

Queen’s Park – Calum Ferrie, Ben McPherson, Alex Bannon, Charlie Fox, Tommy Robson (Cameron Bruce 68), Jack Thomson, Jack Spong (Barry Hepburn 68), Jack Turner, Stuart McKinstry (Louis Longridge 55), Ruari Paton, Dom Thomas.
Unused substitutes – Sam Kane (G/k), Aaron Healy, Will Tizzard, Lewis Reid, Patrick Jarrett Zach Mauchin.

Partick Thistle – Jamie Sneddon, Jack McMillan, Wasiri Williams, Aaron Muirhead, Lewis Neilson, Stuart Bannigan, Brian Graham, (Tomi Adeloye 73), Steven Lawless (Zander MacKenzie 79), Aidan Fitzpatrick (James Lyon 85), Blair Alston (Ben Williamson 73), Ben Stanway (Wes McDonald 85).
Unused substitutes – David Mitchell (G/k), Ricco Diack.

Referee: Iain Sneddon.

Starting Eleven