Queen’s Park 0 Elgin City 0

NO-ONE in black-and-white hoops will be getting carried away by last week’s heroics at Brechin.

But Gulliver still has a smile on his face after reporting on our best win at Glebe Park in 46 years.

Homer and Gulliver have witnessed some right drubbings under the hedge — 0-5 at half-time will never be erased from the memory banks — so all you youngsters should enjoy the moment!

The three points fired Queen’s up the League Two table into a giddy second place behind bookies’ title favourites Cove Rangers.

It’s early days, of course, and we will take nothing for granted in today’s visit of an Elgin City team beaten 1-0 at home last week by a Stenhousemuir team we pummelled here 1-1. But, hey, the signs are promising with Mark Roberts’ new squad.

Same again was the predictable order of the today for Queen’s, with Joffrey Lidouren having shaken off a knock to start and Alfredo Agyeman fit again and replacing Luke Main on the bench.

The weather forecast had for once appeared accurate. It was a lovely warm day, perfect for football on a lush surface as Queen’s kicked off attacking the away end.

It was a slick start from both teams, with the ball being zipped around at pace, and Galt – star man last week at Brechin – was quick into his stride. He got on the end of a four-man move down the left and made the byeline, but his cutback was intercepted.

But six minutes in, Queen’s had a tremendous chance. Joffrey’s defence-splitting forward pass was perfect for Moore to dart clear of Elgin’s backline and make for goal, but just as he pulled the trigger a defender got back to block.

This had all the makings of an entertaining contest, with both teams committed to attack.

Elgin certainly were not sitting back and they came so close to going ahead in 12 minutes – and they would have but for the expertise of Willie Muir.

Sutherland went clear on a pass that split the Queen’s defence but his right foot shot from 10 yards was brilliantly pushed away one-handed and at full stretch by Muir. Omar picked up the rebound and found Sutherland at the far post unmarked, but with the few Elgin fans screaming “goal”, the big man headed into the side net. A warning for Queen’s.

Moore headed into the side net after Salim had headed on and Galt had a low free-kick turned away by keeper McHale. It had been a quick 22 minutes.

Elgin, though, were looking the sharper team going forward and Queen’s were living dangerously again at the back with their positioning, and it took a last gasp tackle by Little to block a shot on the penalty spot.

Some poor final passes weren’t helping the cause when Queen’s did get forward, and more than one promising attack ended with a pass straight to a red shirt as the visitors closed down the space.

But we reached the break with the game still goalless and all to play for.

Half-time: Queen’s Park 0 Elgin City 0

No changes for Queen’s at the break, but you’d hope Mark Roberts had some dressing room words to change our performance.

But it was Elgin who again looked threatening right from the off and four minutes in Muir was called on again to make goal-saving stops at the feet of Hester and then from an angled shot by Omar.

Queen’s responded with a Moore shot that was blocked and a clever little run and pass by Joffrey that only narrowly failed to put Moore in.

Mark Roberts changed it in 56 minutes, Alfie replacing the limping Moore, and his first touch created havoc in the Elgin box before the big man was penalised for a foul.

McHale was called into his first save of the half when he turned away a Galt shot on the hour, and six minutes later the keeper defied Salim with a fine touch over the bar after the big man’s looping header from Muir’s long free kick punt.

This was hard work for Queen’s, but they had tightened up at the back and were applying a bit of pressure now. They sent on youngster Reagan Thomson for Joffrey in 70 and the wee man’s positive first touch was a shot blocked for a corner.

Elgin sent on Cooper for Omar.

Block was booked for a trip in 77 and Dingwall followed for trying to swap jerseys early with Thomson in 89.

Sutherland was replaced by Willis on 90, and his boot at a dugout bottle of water was his only shot on target all day.

And that was that. At half-time, Homer would have taken the draw, so no damage done.

On to Cove, and keep the Faith.


Queen’s Park: Willie Muir, Billy Mortimer, Ciarán Summers, Creag Little, Lewis Magee, Nicky Jamieson, Tommy Block, Joffrey Lidouren, David Galt, Salim Kouider-Aissa, Kieran Moore. Subs: Jacques Herraghty (gk), Scott Gibson, James Grant, Cameron Clark, Reagan Thomson, Alfie Agyeman, Jack Purdue.

Elgin City: Tom McHale, David Wilson, Stephen Bronsky, Andy McDonald, Euan Spark, Brian Cameron, Rory MacEwan, Russell Dingwall, Kane Hester, Shane Sutherland, Rabin Omar. Subs: Kyle Willis, James McGowan, Lee Scott, Aiden Sopel, Matt Cooper, Dan Hoban, Jake Thomson.

Referee: Matthew MacDermid.

Mark speaks to QPTV after the game