A well-organised and gutsy display from Queen’s Park saw them earn a point from a goalless draw against Dundee United at Hampden.

The Spiders’ starting line-up showed one personnel change and one positional change with Patrick Jarrett coming in to replace Will Tizzard from the start with Jack Thomson stepping back into the centre of defence.

Jack Spong kicked the game off with the hosts shooting towards the East Stand however it was the green shirted visitors that created the first moment of danger as Scott McMann swung over a cross from the left that found Matthew Cudjoe with the home defence standing firm.

Queen’s first moment of danger came on three minutes when Spong picked out Tommy Robson who cross for Ruari Paton who rose to head towards the United goal only for an offside flag to stop the play.

Robson picked up a yellow card after six minutes for a sliding challenge on Cudjoe near the half-way line as the United man threatened to break up the park.

Alex Bannon made a timely tackle three minutes later to take the ball away from Louis Moult after Cudjoe had threaded a pass into space behind for his team-mate to run onto.

Ben MacPherson and Dom Thomson took their side up the park shortly afterwards with Louis Longridge crowded out as he looked to convert McPherson’s low driven cross.

McPherson conceded a corner on 14 minutes and Calum Ferrie was called on to scramble the ball into his arms after an unmarked Kevin Holt was allowed to nod towards goal and Moult flicked on.

Midway through the half the Tayside side created a chance from a corner again as Jordan Tillson volleyed Glenn Middleton’s dead-ball into a ruck of defenders on the six-yard line.

Ferrie dropped down low to save a Tony Watt shot after Paton had conceded position and Dundee United attacked with pace and as United continued to have the upper hand Cudjoe headed over.

Spong and Longridge did well to cover and halt an attack after another promising run forward from Thomas and McPherson was ended with full-back McPherson 80 yards from his goal.

Ferrie was well-placed to stop and hold a 20-yard drive from Tillson seven minutes from the break after Craig Sibbald had set McMann free on the left with a 40-yard diagonal pass.

Longridge had the Black and Whites first attempt on goal on 42 minutes when he let fly after clever work by Jarrett on the left and Thomas on the right had created an opportunity however his drive went over with Jack Walton untroubled.

As the first half entered injury time McMann had a shot deflected past for a corner that Middleton took with the young Spiders defence standing firm.

Half time – Queen’s Park 0 Dundee United 0

Dundee United were unlucky a minute into the restart when Watt slipped as he looked to run onto a pass with the hosts’ taking advantage to race up the park and earn a throw-in deep into enemy territory.

Longridge flicked a header goalward on 47 minutes as Queen’s looked to show their attacking intentions early in the second half.

United’s Cudjoe was figuring prominently as Jim Goodwin’s side looked to get on top with Thomas forced to concede a corner that brought out a save from Ferrie after Declan Gallagher had nodded on.

Ferrie was called into action again on 54 minutes after a scramble in the six-yard box with the shot-stopper pouncing on the loose ball after Bannon had gone down injured with the defender able to play on after treatment.

Queen’s Park forced a corner just before the hour mark when Holt helped a Thomas shot behind and the set-piece was worked back to McPherson who whipped in a delightful first-time ball however there were no takers.

On 64 minutes Ferrie produced a fine stop as Watt crossed from the right and substitute Kai Fotheringham nodded down to Moult who spun and fired from close range however the Spiders Number 1 blocked and then gathered the ball.

Jarrett limped off to be replaced by Bruce on 73 minutes with the youngster quickly involved as he helped set up Robson to drill a low ball across the face of Walton’s goal.

Bruce was involved again four minutes later as he darted behind Liam Grimshaw to reach a Jack Turner pass only to be cynically pulled back with the offender cautioned.

Spong took the free-kick and Paton threw himself at it with Walton glad to see his header flash wide.

With six minutes left Thomson departed his defensive duties to lead a charge into Dundee United’s half with the Spiders winning a corner that United cleared away.

Ferrie dived bravely to win a race for a Declan Glass chipped pass as play moved to the other end with the shot-stopper involved again three minutes form time as he blocked a Chris Mochrie shot.

United won a corner with 90 seconds remaining that was met by Holt with the home support glad to see the ball flash over.

As the game entered the five minutes of added on time Ferrie was again well-placed to deny Mochrie once more with the hosts racing to the other end where Thomas had a cross cut out.

A brave header from Spong cut out a dangerous cross with the danger added to by Thomson lying injured on the ground.

The draw is not the greatest ever Christmas Present the club could have received however it is a very welcome one.

Queen’s Park – Calum Ferrie, Ben McPherson, Alex Bannon, Jack Thomson, Tommy Robson, Jack Thomson, Jack Spong, Patrick Jarrett (Cameron Bruce 74), Jack Turner, Louis Longridge, Dom Thomas, Ruari Paton.
Unused substitutes – Callan McKenna (G/k), Barry Hepburn, Aaron Healy, Will Tizzard, Lewis Reid, Alex Fairlie.

Dundee United – Jack Walton, Kevin Holt, Liam Grimshaw, Louis Moult, Craig Sibbald, Glenn Middleton, Jordan Tillson (Declan Glass 71), Matthew Cudjoe (Kai Fotheringham 60), Declan Gallagher, Tony Watt (Chris Mochrie 71), Scott McMann.
Unused substitutes – Jack Newman (G/k), Ollie Denham, Ross Graham, Kieran Freeman, Flynn Duffy, Owen Stirton.

Referee – Steven McLean

Starting Eleven