Queen’s Park long wait for a League win over Morton at Hampden continues after a goalless draw with Calum Ferrie showing his worth as a goalkeeper in his hundredth game for the club.

Head Coach Callum Davidson went for the same starting XI that defeated Dunfermline 3-0 last weekend against a visiting Greenock side that last tasted defeat in the Championship back in November.

Danny Wilson was on the bench and Max Fiddes’ hat-trick for the Queen’s Park B Team this week was rewarded with squad number 40 and a substitute role as well however Cameron Bruce was on Scotland under-19 duty yesterday so missed out as did new recruit Josh Hinds.

Sean Welsh kicked-off in however it was Ben McPherson that caught the eye early with a surging run on the right only to be crowded out as excitement was building

After just five minutes the visiting Robbie Crawford was shown a yellow card for a challenge on Welsh with the Queen’s man bumped to the turf again shortly afterwards by the same player however referee Steven McLean saw no foul this time.

Five minutes later a promising move on the right ended with a dangerous swinging cross from McPherson being delivered into the Morton box however Jack Baird was able to clear.

Both sides were cancelling each other however on 17 minutes Lewis Strapp barged into Ruari Paton right on the edge of the visitors box to give The Spiders an opening.

Striker Paton picked himself up and curled the resulting free-kick over the defensive wall however his effort went inches over the bar.

Just before the 20-minute mark Paton was just off target again as he accepted a pass from Stuart McKinstry and cut in from the left before trying his luck from 20 yards.

Dougie Imrie’s side moved to the other end and won a corner that Will Tizzard rose and headed clear.

Three minutes later centurion Ferrie had to stretch wide to his left to push a George Oakley header from a free-kick wide for a corner.

The QP keeper excelled again on 27 minutes when Oakley was picked out at the back post and volleyed for goal with Ferrie sticking up a hand to keep the ball out of his goal.

The hosts threatened again on 30 minutes when McPherson skipped past Strapp and hit the touchline before cutting the ball back only to find no takers.

Seven minutes from the break Jack Turner was given space 20 yards from the Morton goal as he accepted a pass from McPherson however his dive failed to trouble Ryan Mullen.

Oakley escaped a booking on 41 minutes as he hauled Thomson to the ground as he chased a through ball 25 yards out from Ferrie’s goal.

Just before the break McKinstry robbed Jack Baird of the ball and it looked like Paton had a chance to run in on goal however Baird recovered and ended the danger.

Half time – Queen’s Park 0 Greenock Morton 0

McKinstry started his second half with a spin and a back heel nutmeg on his marker, Tyler French, only for the Morton player to stop the ball going through his legs – just.

Paton was on the rough end of treatment from French four minutes into the restart when he pushed the Queen’s man to the ground however Referee McLean elected to let play continue.

Morton rushed up the park on 54 minutes as Alan Power and Oakley swapped passes with Power bringing a diving save out of Ferrie from his curling shot.

Ferrie made another fantastic stop as he kept out Cameron Blues from close range with the shot-stopper unaware that an offside flag had been raised.

MacKenzie Carse and Louis Longridge were brought on just before the hour mark as Coach Davidson looked for the spark that would create a goal and it almost worked quickly as Longridge teed up Dom Thomas with Mullen having to drop down low to save the skipper’s shot.

Midway through the second half Ferrie made a dash to the edge of the box before putting in a superbly timed sliding tackle to deny Muirhead as he raced onto a pass from Oakley that had spilt open the home defence.

After a spell of Morton pressure Longridge led what looked like a promising breakaway as he raced from one half into the other only to see his pass to the also darting Paton intercepted.

Former Spider Jai Quitongo was introduced by the visitors and he made his presence felt with a cutting shot and then a hopeful appeal for a penalty.

Ferrie made another fine stop nine minutes from time as he pushed away Oakley effort after the Morton striker had picked up a wayward pass from the home defence.

Iain Wilson was the next player to be denied by Ferrie as he pushed away his angled 18-yard drive with substitute Scott Williamson taking Queen’s to the other end only to be pushed wide.

Queen’s Park – Calum Ferrie, Ben McPherson (Zach Mauchin 77), Alex Bannon (Danny Wilson 77), Jack Thomson, Will Tizzard, Joshua Scott, Sean Welsh, Jack Turner (Mackenzie Carse 59), Stuart McKinstry (Louis Longridge 59), Dom Thomas, Ruari Paton (Scott Williamson 87).
Unused substitutes – Sam Kane (G/k), Tommy Robson, Lewis Reid, Max Fiddes.

Greenock Morton – Ryan Mullen, Lewis Strapp (Lewis McGrattan 90), Darragh O’Connor, Jack Baird, Cameron Blues, Robbie Muirhead (Callum Waters 90), Robbie Crawford (Jai Quitongo 77) Alan Power (Michael Garrity 77), George Oakley, Tyler French, Iain Wilson.
Unused substitutes – Sam Murdoch, Kirk Broadfoot, Jack Bearne, Grant Gillespie.

Referee – Steven McLean.

Starting Eleven