Queen’s Park and Raith Rovers played out a goalless draw at The National Stadium at Hampden with both sides disappointed at not finding the net.

Ben McPherson dropped out of the Queen’s Park starting line-up after being injured last weekend and his place was taken, as it was early in last weekend’s 2-2 draw with Partick Thistle, by Louis Longridge.

Dom Thomas kicked the game off, and the skipper was also involved in Queen’s first attacking foray as he danced through a couple of challenges before picking out Longridge on the right however he was crowded out and the move broke down.

Longridge conceded the game’s first corner on three minutes that was worked into the path of Scott Brown 25 yards from the home goal however the Kirkcaldy captain sent his shot over.

A miscued pass from Lewis Vaughan allowed Ruari Paton to turn for goal and pick out Thomas with a pass only for Thomas’ return pass to the striker to be cut out.

Raith enjoyed a period of pressure around the seventh minute mark and Alex Bannon did well to rise and head a Brown cross clear under great pressure.

Another opening for the visitors came when a Kyle Turner shot was deflected past for Raith’s fifth corner of the opening ten minutes, however Calum Ferrie punched the danger clear.

Paton had a 20-yarder charged down before Raith attacked again with Sam Stanton hooking in a shot from another corner that needed a touch from Tommy Robson to take it away from Ferrie’s goal.

With the Black and Whites still looking to impose themselves on the game a perfectly timed tackle from Sean Welsh 10 yards out denied Zac Rudden on 20 minutes.

On 26 minutes Queen’s threatened at the other end as Josh Scott was picked out by a cross-field pass and his ball to Cillian Sheridan ended in a header that flashed across the Raith goal but there were no takers.

A minute later the hosts forced their first corner, which was well-worked into Longridge’s path only for the wing-back to fire well over the bar.

With half an hour played Welsh showed the increasing confidence in the home side with a shot from 25 yards that took a nick off a visiting leg before zipping wide.

Ten minutes from the break Jack Thomson robbed Dylan Easton of possession and slipped a pass to Thomas who moved the ball onto his trusted left foot with the captain’s low drive travelling wide.

Scott was becoming prominent in an attacking sense as the first half drew to a close with the former Newcastle United man making another surge towards goal on 42 minutes that earned a corner that was almost met by Danny Wilson.

Half time – Queen’s Park 0 Raith Rovers 0

Easton had the first attempt at goal after the restart with a dipping shot however Ferrie was alert and in place to save.

Wilson showed his class with a precise pass that switched the play from right to left to pick out Scott who advanced forward for ten yards before being halted.

On 50 minutes another fine ball forward this time from Bannon resulted in the ball being turned into Sheridan’s path eight yards out with Referee Clancy not interested in penalty shouts after the striker tumbled to the ground.

The whistler was also not interested in pointing to the spot a minute later when Bannon handled as the defender had been pushed to the ground by Rudden.

The Black and White Hoops had the next effort on goal when Welsh met a Thomson corner with his header bouncing into the turf and going wide.

A good move from The Spiders saw Thomas and Longridge combine on the right to send over a cross that was met by Paton who sent a header off target.

Easton took a tumble under a challenge from Bannon with 21 minutes left but again Mr. Clancy was not moved to award a penalty.

On 73 minutes Queen’s came close to breaking the deadlock when Thomas whipped off a wicked cross that Wilson knocked down into the path of Welsh who controlled with his chest and shot through a line of defenders from 12 yards only for Dabrowski to save.

Three minutes later Thomson remained cool to win the ball from Jack Hamilton after the substitute had got the better of Wilson and was heading towards Ferrie’s goal.

Raith were denied the lead on 84 minutes when Ferrie stuck out a hand to deny Scott McGill from close range with the shot-stopper excelling to an even higher level a minute later as he somehow clawed away a Stanton flicked volley that was heading high into the net.

McGill sent an injury time shot bouncing past in injury time with the Match Officials deciding a corner was to be awarded and after a scramble the ball was cleared from the home goal.

Queen’s Park – Calum Ferrie, Alex Bannon (Jack Turner 74), Danny Wilson, Tommy Robson, Louis Longridge, Josh Scott (Cameron Bruce 66), Jack Thomson, Sean Welsh, Dom Thomas (Liam McLeish 85), Cillian Sheridan (Stuart McKinstry 66), Ruari Paton.
Unused substitutes – Jack Wills (G/k), Will Tizzard, Scott Williamson, Zach Mauchin, Mackenzie Carse.

Raith Rovers – Kevin Dabrowski, Liam Dick, Euan Murray, Aidan Connolly (Scott McGill 81), Ross Matthews, Lewis Vaughan (Shaun Byrne 81), Sam Stanton, Kyle Turner, Scott Brown, Dylan Easton (Callum Smith 74), Zac Rudden (Jack Hamilton 57).
Unused substitutes – Andrew McNeil (G/k), Robbie Thomson (G/k), Keith Watson, Dylan Corr.

Referee – Kevin Clancy

Starting Eleven