A share of the spoils at Firhill as Queen’s Park are held to a 1-1 draw by Alloa Athletic. A goal of the season contender from Ronan Darcy secured the point for the Spiders.

Interim Head Coach Marijn Beuker kept continuity within the squad and made only one change from the side that won comfortably last time out away to Dumbarton. Out went Jake Davidson who was replaced by Charlie Fox, who missed the last game due a head knock.

It was a great start to the game as the Spiders created the opening chance through Luca Connell as he produced a gorgeous swivel turn in the middle of the park before playing a delicate reverse ball in behind to Connor Smith, but Morrison in the Alloa goal came out quickly and snuffed out the chance.

Another glorious chance on the 5th minute, Queen’s nearly break the deadlock, this time it’s Bob McHugh who rattled the crossbar. Lovely play down Queen’s right hand side as Captain Michael Doyle chipped a ball into the box where McHugh nipped in front of his marker before he unleashed a thunderbolt of a volley but it’s just a few inches too high and smacked off the crossbar.

On the 25th minute, Queen’s Park are millimetres from breaking the deadlock yet again. This time it’s terrific play by Smith who played a one two with Jack Thomson before he fizzed in a dangerous ball across the face of goal. The on rushing McHugh only needed the deftest of touches, but he couldn’t connect.

With half an hour on the clock, Alloa’s first real half chance of note, a bouncing ball just left of centre fell to Euan Henderson, but his half volley bounced harmlessly wide of Ferrie’s right hand post.

On the 34th minute the Wasps really should have scored courtesy of Mohammed Niang, but he fluffed his glorious opportunity. Connor Sammon used his physical strength and got the better of Charlie Fox before knocking it down to Henderson who cleverly knocked the ball through to the on-rushing Niang who did brilliantly up until his finish. A tremendous save nonetheless from Ferrie who got down brilliantly low to his left-hand side.

With just 4 minutes remaining in the first half saw a mistake by Fox who firstly smashed the ball off Thomson from point blank range before retrieving it and slipping which allowed a 3 on 1 situation. Henderson was through on goal with Niang to his left and Sammon to his right, but he decided to go solo and bent the ball to the bottom corner, but Ferrie is equal to it with another fantastic save.

A minute before halftime saw Thomson drive at the heart of the Alloa backline before he slipped in McHugh and from the tightest of angles, he had Morrison scrambling in the Alloa goal as the ball flew past him but luckily for him it smashed right off the right-hand post and bounced clear.

Queen’s have always tried to play football and at times played some lovely stuff and have dominated the first half but with nothing to show from it. They created the better of the chances in the first half, but Alloa showed they are a threat also, so the home side need to be wary.

The 2nd half got underway with a terrific driving run from Tommy Robson straight from kick off as he drove right at the heart of Alloa’s defence before unleashing an effort on goal. He was about 25 yards from goal before his shot zipped along the surface but straight down the throat of Morrison.

The Spiders are the first to dip to their bench as club captain Michael Doyle is replaced by Max Gillies. The armband is passed over to Peter Grant.

The deadlock is broken by the visitors on the 49th minute following a corner which saw Mark Durnan convert. The ball was whipped in from the left-hand side and saw Ferrie come to claim the ball but unfortunately, he misjudged his punch clear and paid the ultimate price as Durnan gleefully accepted the gift and flicked the ball into the empty net. 1-0 to Alloa.

A minute shy of the hour mark saw the home side have another half chance this time it fell to Louis Longridge whose half volley flew just over the bar. Terrific technique as ever from Longridge but didn’t have the necessary dip on the ball.

On the 64th minute saw the Spiders carve open the Wasps yet again but with nothing to show for it. It’s another driving run down the right-hand side from Thomson who plays the ball across the box to Connell, but he swiped at the ball and missed it. Thankfully it fell to Smith behind him who fired in a zinger of an effort, but his shot is saved tremendously well yet again by Morrison.

This time it’s Queen’s turn to make a double change on the 67th minute as off go Louis Longridge and Connor Smith as they are replaced by Luis Longstaff and Ronan Darcy as the gaffer is looking for that spark to get back into the game.

With just 15 minutes to go sees a terrific one two with Fox and Robson, Fox continues his driving run down the left-hand side before firing a dangerous ball across the six-yard box, but it’s cleared well by the Alloa back line. That play has lifted the crowd here at Firhill as Queen’s Park push for an equaliser.

Only a few minutes later sees the first booking of the game go the way of the home side as Charlie Fox collects a yellow card for a pull-on substitute Steven Boyd.

Another change from the home side came with 10 minutes to go as Liam Brown made way for Connor McBride. A striker on for a midfielder as Beuker looks to get something from the game.

A wonder strike on the 84th minute saw the Spiders get a deserved equaliser courtesy of sub-Ronan Darcy. He collected the ball right of centre about 25/30 yards from goal before unleashing an unsavable effort that is arrowed.

Final substitution for the Spiders as young academy graduate Cameron Bruce came on with a few minutes to go for his league debut, replacing Tommy Robson.

Neither side could carve out any further scoring opportunities and both had to settle for a share of the points. Next up for Queen’s Park is an away trip next Saturday to Airdrie where they’ll be looking to bounce back to winning ways.

A terrific turnout today as the official attendance at Firhill today is 750.

Queen’s Park: Ferrie, Doyle (c) (Gillies 46’), Grant, Fox, Robson (Bruce 90’), Connell, Thomson, Longridge (Longstaff 67’), Brown (McBride 79’), Smith (Darcy 67’), McHugh.Subs not used: Lyon, Heraghty, Biggar, Davidson.

Alloa Athletic: Morrison, Taggart, Graham, Durnan, Howie, O’Donnell (Church 62’), Riley-Snow (Boyd 62’), King (Scougall 83’), Niang, Sammon (MacIver 83’) , Henderson (Cawley 75’).Subs not used: Hutton, Armstrong, Armour.

Referee: Grant Irvine