Queen’s Park secured their place in the Championship next season thanks to a 2-0 win over Airdrieonians at Hampden thanks to goals from Ruari Paton and Liam McLeish.

Will Tizzard dropped out of the starting line-up after picking up a hamstring injury in last weekend’s 5-0 win at Arbroath with Tommy Robson coming in from the start.

Tyrece McDonnell was rewarded for his recent performances with the under-18 squad with a place on the substitutes’ bench.

The home fans were in great voice when Dom Thomas kicked the game off with a pass to Sean Welsh who launched the ball deep into the Airdrie half with Cillian Sheridan winning a header before the move was mopped up.

With four minutes played Josh Scott whipped over a delightful cross from the left that was just inches away from the in-rushing Sheridan with the big striker getting on the end of another cross a minute later with his knockdown taken off the toes of Paton.

The Diamonds threatened for the first time on 10 minutes when Adam Frizzell wriggled his way clear however Calum Ferrie raced from his line to smother the ball.

The play zipped to the other end and Paton was just unable to turn another Sheridan assist goalward.

A low cross from Thomas was turned past for the game’s first corner on 15 minutes which looked to pick out Charlie Fox however an Airdrie head got in the way.

‘Sheriff’ Sheridan produced a moment of magic 60 seconds later with a chipped shot out of nothing with beat Robbie Hemfrey only to land on the roof of the net.

Alex Bannon kept his cool to clear a dangerous visiting raid shortly afterwards with many in the home camp frustrated that what looked like a foul on Scott went unpunished and offside was not given when the ball was played forward by the visitors.

That frustration lessened on 25 minutes when Queen’s took the lead when Sheridan won a tackle at the edge of the Airdrie box after a goal kick and fed PATON who danced forward a few steps before sending a fierce low shot into the far corner.

Airdrie forced three corners just after the half hour mark however the home rearguard stood firm and looked to take the game back into their opponents’ half.

Sheridan found Welsh with a headed pass on 42 minutes, and he teed up Scott and Robson on the left, with the Diamonds defence doing well to cut out Robbo’s cut-back as a posse of attackers waiting to pounce.

Frizzell was booked for a clumsy challenge on Welsh as the first half entered injury time with Jack Turner’s free-kick met by Fox in the box however Hemfrey was untroubled.

Half time – Queen’s Park 1 Airdrieonians 0

Callum Fordyce was replaced by Craig Watson at the start of the second half for the visitors with Queen’s making a fast start however Thomas’ backheel to Paton was cut out.

Three minutes into second half a second goal looked on as Sheridan and Thomas combined to create a chance for Paton who saw his deflected shot flash inches wide.

Paton was out of luck again on 51 minutes when Sheridan sent a pass across the six-yard box and Paton flicked it goalward with Hemfrey stretching himself to save.

Frizzell curled a shot wide in Airdrie’s next attack with Ferrie surprisingly credited with a touch and the visitors awarded a corner as a result however thankfully no danger threatened.

Skipper Thomas limped off on 57 minutes with Zach Mauchin coming as his replacement with Queen’s awarded a free kick shortly afterwards with Paton’s dead ball comfortably dealt with by Hemfrey.

Eight minutes later Mauchin helped out in attack as the ball was worked from right to left to give Scott a glimpse of goal with the wing back’s well-driven shot charged down.

Ferrie was called into action twice in quick succession midway through the second half as he firstly ran and kicked clear before stretching high to cut out a cross.

Substitute Liam McLeish quickly got himself involved in the action with a strong run in from the left and just when it looked like the Airdrie goal had opened up for him, he tried a pass to Paton that was intercepted.

Hearts were in home mouths with quarter of an hour left as Lewis McGregor sent a dipping 20 yarder through the QP defence with Ferrie needing two attempts to gather the ball safely into his hands with Josh O’Connor waiting to pounce.

McLEISH certainly made an impact with eight minutes left as he accepted a pass from Turner, after Louis Longridge had won the ball 35 yards out, and from the right-hand side of the Airdrie box the youngster drilled a fine shot past Hemfrey and into the far corner.

Fox sent a clearance high over his own bar on 88 minutes however the corner was cleared with Ferrie making a ‘Superman’ punch clear a minute later as Airdrie looked to get back into the game.

Longridge looked to have picked the perfect time to get his first goal of the season as the game entered injury time however his 18-yard drive was deflected inches over.

Queen’s Park – Calum Ferrie, Alex Bannon, Charlie Fox, Tommy Robson, Louis Longridge, Sean Welsh, Jack Turner, Josh Scott, Dom Thomas (Zach Mauchin 57), Cillian Sheridan (Liam McLeish 70), Ruari Paton.
Unused substitutes – Jack Wills (G/k), Danny Wilson, Cameron Bruce, Stuart McKinstry, Lewis Reid, Mackenzie Carse, Tyrece McDonnell.

Airdrieonians – Robbie Hemfrey, Murray Aiken (Alasdair Spalding 63), Aaron Taylor-Sinclair (Mason Hancock 63), Cameron Ballantyne (Kanayo Megwa 63), Callum Fordyce (Craig Watson 46), Lewis McGregor, Adam Frizzell (Elliot Dunlop 63), Arron Lyall, Chris Donnell, Josh O’Connor, Calum Gallagher.
Unused substitutes – Cade Melrose (G/k), Nikolay Todorov, Gabriel McGill, Cameron Rowley.

Referee – Ross Hardie

Starting Eleven