The cold of Hampden was different from the sun of Gayfield however the winning feeling was there again as Queen’s Park defeated Dunfermline 2-1.

Paul Nuijten made two changes to the home starting line-up with Tommy Robson coming in for Lewis Reid on the left had side of a three-man central defence with Alex Fairlie given his first ever start in place of Louis Longridge who dropped out of things totally.

Jack Spong kicked off with QP shooting towards the West Stand with the first chance coming when Zach Mauchin crossed from the right looking for Fairlie in an advanced position however the ball slipped by the youngster.

Jack Thomson stood strong to deny Alex Jakubiak after four minutes as the striker threatened to barge his way through the home defence.

Robson and Jack Spong worked together well on the left wing to send Fairlie scampering towards the Dunfermline goal however an offside flag ended the attack.

Spong then showed a fine level of skill to get past Ben Summers on the left touchline with his pass forward unfortunately intercepted.

Pressing from Dom Thomas almost saw him win the ball from Aaron Comrie on Dunfermline’s 18 yard however the Fifer recovered with his side sending the ball quickly to the other end where Calum Ferrie raced from his line to kick clear.

With 16 minutes gone a frustrated Ruari Paton was ruled to be offside for a fourth time after he managed to get in a shot in that Deniz Mehmet pushed away.

The Spiders game plan of trying to get more bodies into the box in attacking situations was showing promise midway through the opening half however the delivery of crosses was not picking out team-mates.

Dunfermline ventured forward on 25 minutes with Owen Moffat sending a 25-yard daisy cutter a couple of feet wide of Ferrie’s goal.

There was controversy when Paton turned a Cammy Bruce cut-back into the net shortly afterwards however another tight call for offside saw referee Collum pulling the play back for a separate foul and ensuring that there were no celebrations.

Skipper Thomas tried a more direct route to goal on 28 minutes with a shot from 20 yards however Mehmet was able to dive to his right and save and as Queen’s continued to probe Fairlie dinked a pass into the path of Paton who brought out another save from the Dunfermline shot-stopper.

A strong charge from Mauchin for about 40 yards earned a corner for his side seven minutes from the break however Bannon just failed in turning the dead ball goalward.

A couple of minutes later Thomson let fly from 30 yards and Mehmet had to watch the shot carefully as it threatened to sneak in. Jack Turner had a chance from much closer range as Thomas whipped a ball in however the legs of Mehmet came to Dunfermline’s rescue.

Half time –Queen’s Park 0 Dunfermline Athletic 0

The hosts opened up the second half on the front foot again with Fairlie combining with Thomas however the captain’s chipped ball into the box fell into the neither shot nor cross category.

Mauchin showed his ability to charge forward again four minutes into the restart with the teenager showing two Dunfermline players a clean pair of heels before sending a cross that just failed to trouble Mehmet.

On 55 minutes the goal that Queen’s Park had been threatening arrived thanks to the industry of Spong and the shooting accuracy of Paton. Spong put pressure on the visitors 30 yards from goal and won possession and glided forward before slipping a pass to the left for PATON who took his time to control the ball and then crack a shot under Mehmet from 16 yards.

The Black and White showed their attacking intent again a minute later when Mauchin teased a delightful ball across the visiting goal and as Dunfermline struggled to clear Fairlie hooked a chance over.

On 61 minutes Mauchin was up front again as he picked up a sideways pass from Thomas and rather than taking Josh Edwards on this time the wing-back had a dig at goal with effort just clearing Mehmet’s bar.

Paton’s enthusiasm saw him yellow carded with 21 minutes left after committing a foul deep into the Pars half following a move breaking down.

Stuart McKinstry came on for Fairlie, who can be proud of his first start on 73 minutes, with a second goal almost arriving within 30 second as Paton reached a Turner cross however his header drifted wide.

THOMAS had the next opening as he accepted a pass from Paton and wriggled his way into the Dunfermline box with his shot taking a deflection and looping away from Mehmet but dropping on the roof of the net.

The Queen’s skipper had better luck on 78 minutes when Bruce picked him out at the edge of the box and this time his shot was deflected out of Mehmet’s reach and high into the net.

Six minutes later it looked like Bruce had a glimpse of goal when a long Thomson free-kick found him however Mehmet saved.

Dunfermline made the most of that reprieve by grabbing a goal when Summers drilled in a shot from 18 yards with the aid of a post.

It almost got even better for the visitors 90 seconds from time when Edwards broke free and cracked a half-volley towards Ferrie’s goal with the ball rippling against the wrong side of the net.

Four minutes into injury time Queen’s had a chance to make the final minute easier when Thomas slipped a pass to Paton however Mehmet was equal to his effort.

Queen’s Park – Calum Ferrie, Zach Mauchin (Ben McPherson 77), Alex Bannon, Jack Thomson, Tommy Robson, Cameron Bruce, Jack Turner (Patrick Jarrett 89), Jack Spong, Alex Fairlie (Stuart McKinstry 73), Dom Thomas, Ruari Paton.
Unused substitutes – Callan McKenna (G/k), Aaron Healy, Will Tizzard, Lewis Reid Ricky Waugh, Lucas McCormick.

Dunfermline Athletic – Deniz Mehmet, Aaron Comrie (Miiler Fenton 19), Josh Edwards, Chris Hamilton, Joe Chalmers, Craig Wighton, Alex Jakubiak (Taylor Sutherland 66), Ben Summers, Owen Moffat, Paul Allan, Michael O’Halloran (Liam Hoggan 80)
Unused substitutes – Harrison Sharp, Max Little, Ewan McLeod, Jake Sutherland.

Referee – William Collum.

Starting Eleven