QUEEN’S PARK edged closer towards the League Two title after cruising to victory over Cowdenbeath.

The Spiders – who are yet to taste defeat in the league this season – never looked in any danger as they controlled the game from start to finish against the Blue Brazil.

12 wins and two draws from 14 games leaves the table toppers a massive ten points clear of nearest challengers Elgin City as we enter the business end of the campaign.

Goals from Jai Quitongo, Darren Lyon and Will Baynham secured a comfortable win for Ray McKinnon’s men and in truth it could have been more had it not been for Cowden keeper Nicky Hogarth.

Queen’s enjoyed the bulk of possession without really threatening anything on goal in the opening exchanges.

Cowdenbeath were looking organised and keeping to a game plan as they looked to frustrate the hosts for as long as possible.

However, they could only hold out for 16 minutes with Quitongo firing home a rocket of a shot beyond Hogarth from around 20-yards after receiving the ball from Lee Kilday.

The hosts continued to move the ball from side to side and enjoyed large spells of possession as they pressed for a second goal before the break.

An excellent switch from Grant Gillespie found rampaging full-back Michael Doyle down the right.

His cut-back allowed danger-man Quitongo a one-on-one but after beating his man his tame effort was easily gathered by Hogarth.

Two minutes before half-time some excellent play by Louis Longridge resulted in him firing the ball into the danger area but both David Galt and Baynham failed to make contact.

Luca Connell – who was on the receiving end of a heavy tackle late in the first-half- was withdrawn at the interval and replaced by Lyon.

And within two minutes the super sub had his name on the scoresheet.

A stunning piece of play between Longridge and Quitongo ended in the latter tearing down the line and cutting a perfect ball across the face of goal with Lyon on hand to fire home from close-range.

It was the perfect start to the second period for the Spiders.

On the hour, it was three and game over.

Skipper Galt’s inch perfect cross was met by the head of Baynham who nodded past Hogarth into the bottom right hand corner.

One minute later the striker should have doubled his tally for the night in an almost identical situation – but this time Hogarth pulled off a smart save to push the goal-bound header away.

Baynham was causing the Cowden defence all kinds of problems and again he went close after latching onto a ball over the top but he was once again denied by some excellent goalkeeping.

Hogarth was keeping the score down and again he did well to deny Quitongo just minutes later.

Cowdenbeath keeper Hogarth denies Queen’s … again
Simon Murray – introduced with 20 minutes to play – had an effort from range but that man Hogarth was on hand to acrobatically tip the ball away from goal.

The Spiders continued to boss the game in the later stages as they peppered the Cowden goal in search of a fourth.

However, despite the league leaders’ best efforts, they were unable to add any further goals.

Next up is a trip to Stenhousemuir as McKinnon and Co look to maintain their unbeaten league run and surge towards the league crown.

Queen’s Park: Muir, Doyle (Morrison 80′), Kilday, Grant, Paterson, Longridge (Murray 73′), Galt, Quitongo (MacLean 73′), Baynham (Kouider-Aïssa 73′), Gillespie, Connell (Lyon 45′)

Subs not used: Robson, McHugh, MacLean, Carroll, Mullen.

Cowdenbeath: Hogarth, Mullen, Sandison (Glass 45′), Finnie, Hutton, Buchanan, Morrison (Miller 78′), Renton, Swann, Taylor (Russell 74′)

Subs not used: Miller, Herd, Pollock, Adamson, Pyper, Hamilton

Referee: Euan Anderson