Goals from Simon Murray, Louis Longridge and Liam Brown gave the Spiders all three points against the Sons to send them top of the cinch League 1 table.

After a penalty shoot-out victory over Bonnyrigg in the SPFL Trust Trophy in midweek, Laurie Ellis named a strong starting XI with three changes including the returning Murray and Lewis Moore in the final third and Tommy Robson at left-back.

Like ourselves, Dumbarton were also in challenge cup action as they were edged out 3-2 by Rangers B despite a late comeback with two goals in the final minutes.

With both sides on four points, this game was an opportunity to earn a place at the top of the table.

After an even first 15 minutes, with both sides seeing the ball, Longridge looked be right on cue to fire a cut-back goalwards but an excellent sliding interception from Carlo Pignatiello denied him.

Former Queen’s player Ross Maclean then slipped in Kalvin Orsi down the side of the box but the Dumbarton striker totally missed the ball, much to the relief of Willie Muir.

On 22 minutes, the Spiders broke the deadlock through Murray.

Brown did well to collect and slide the ball into his striker before Murray opened up his body to guide it into the far corner and out of the reach of Sam Ramsbottom.

There was almost an instant second as Moore found Grant Gillespie on the edge of the area but his effort across goal had just too much curl to trouble the ‘keeper.

The Sons had a good chance to level after Gregor Buchanan remained in the box after a free-kick, the ball was swung to the back post before the defender turned the knock-down over Muir’s bar.

For Queen’s, another defender was next to go close as half-time approached, Stuart Morrison flicked on Longridge’s ball in with Ramsbottom forced to tip it over the crossbar.

After the break, the hosts didn’t waste much time in doubling their advantage.

A well worked move saw Michael Doyle rolled in down the right side of the box before he lifted his head to pick out Longridge coming in who had the easiest of finishes for 2-0.

With the second goal from a matter of yards out, Brown looked to add another from around 20 as he fired a rising effort just over the bar.

Murray had an even clearer chance to make it 3-0 after the hour mark as he tip-toed his way through the defence but Ramsbotton stood tall to make the block.

The pace of the game slower a little thereafter with some loose pauses from both teams but the Spiders were well in control of the match.

A neat exchange between the goalscorers saw Longridge set up Murray but his effort from outside the area was always travelling wide of the post.

With a few minutes remaining, Queen’s did eventually get that deserved third thanks to excellent wing play by Moore on the left to get to the by-line before his cut-back was rolled home by Brown to wrap things up.

That third goal was enough to send the Spiders top of the table ahead of a trip to face Alloa Athletic next week.

Queen’s Park: Muir, Doyle (C), Morrison, Fox, Robson, Gillespie, Thomson, Moore (Lyon 87’), Brown (Nicol 88’), Longridge, Murray (McHugh 81’). Subs not used: Ferrie, Kilday, Yeats, Biggar.

Dumbarton: Ramsbotton, Greggan (Wilson 75’), McGeever, Buchanan, Boyle, Carswell (C), Pignatiello, McKee, Hopkirk, MacLean, Orsi (Schiavone 70’). Subs not used: Trialist, Lynch, Paton, Stokes.

Man of the Match: Louis Longridge

Referee: Craig Napier