Queen’s Park secured their first three-point haul in the Championship after seeing off Partick Thistle 3-2 in the first Glasgow Derby League match, albeit in Stenhousemuir, between the clubs since 2001

The Spiders led at the break through a well-worked Grant Savoury goal and after taking a blow to the chin when Thistle equalised through Jack McMillan’s well-worked strike Queen’s responded with goals from ex-Jag Tommy Robson and Simon Murray who was skippering the side.

Queen’s Head Coach Owen Coyle made three changes to the side that faced Ayr eight days ago with Lee Kilday and Liam Brown moving to the substitutes’ bench with Josh McPake dropping out of the match-day squad.

Scott Williamson came into the side to make his starting debut with Malachi Boateng also on from the first whistle following his loan move from English Premiership side Crystal Palace with Jack Thomson the third change in the line-up.

The introduction of Williamson alongside Murray was the main talking point before kick-off with a change of formation to having main two strikers playing against a Thistle team, who are of course managed by former Hampden midfielder Ian McCall.

It was indeed a 4-4-2 approach from Coyle and it almost paid dividends quickly with Robson cracking for goal from long distance however David Mitchell in the Thistle goal was equal to it.

Cole McKinnon had an early chance for the visitors when he was released on the right however Calum Ferrie was not troubled by his parting shot.

With seven minutes gone Williamson was teed up by Murray some 20 yards from goal and after charging towards the Thistle goal it looked like the former Cambuslang Rangers front-man had grabbed his first league goal however Mitchell stuck up a hand to save.

Thistle forced two corners at the half-way point of the opening half and from their second dead ball Queen’s had Calum Ferrie to thank for keeping out a Brian Graham header with Aiden Fitzpatrick firing over from close range with a scissors kick after the hosts struggled to clear.

Thistle came close again on 27 minutes when Ross Docherty took possession in midfield following a loose pass and moved forward before finding Steven Lawless.

The wide-man scurried to by-line before picking out Graham at the back post with Ferrie grateful when his header dropped into his arms.

The deadlock was broken ten minutes later in fine style by Queen’s with a training ground move paying off handsomely.

Murray had been fouled almost 30 yards out and with most of the ground anticipating Dom Thomas to have a crack at goal the winger slipped the ball forward to Murray who sent SAVOURY clear with a one-touch pass and the attacker did the rest by taking a touch before drilling low into the net.

Thistle’s Kevin Holt met Kyle Turner’s free-kick just before the break however his header cleared Ferrie’s goal and Queen’s trooped off one goal to the good.

Thistle came out determined to get level and McKinnon darted in-behind the Queen’s rear-guard however his lobbed effort cleared Ferrie’s bar.

The score was tied at 1-1 on 64 minutes when Thistle’s full-back McMillan charged forward once more and after exchanging passes with Graham the former Livingston man shot low out of Ferrie’s reach.

With many in the red and yellow colours packed behind Mitchell’s goal believing they would now go on and win Queen’s struck back strongly with the lead retaken within three minutes.

Boateng showed his class with a lovely piercing pass that found ROBSON who had darted behind the Thistle defence and slid a shot past the advancing Mitchell and into the far corner.

It was 3-1 on 76 minutes when Murray turned the ball into the net from a couple of yards out after Jake Davidson fired a loose ball goalward after Mitchell had pushed away his header.

Referee McLean ignored appeals for a foul when Thistle substitute Anton Dowds controlled a Brain Graham knockdown from a Docherty corner before firing home from two yards on 87 minutes to set-up a rousing finish.

The Black and White hooped players stood strong to ensure that no equaliser was found despite nearly seven minutes of added on time being played.

Queen’s Park: Calum Ferrie, Jake Davidson (Lee Kilday 77′), Alex Bannon, Charlie Fox, Tommy Robson, Grant Savoury, Jack Thomson, Malachi Boateng, Dom Thomas, Scott Williamson (Longridge (73′), Murray. Subs not used: Liam Brown, Cameron Bruce, Jacques Heraghty (g/k), Gregor Nicol, Patrick Jarrett, Lewis Reid, Stephen Eze.

Partick Thistle: David Mitchell, Jack McMillan, Olatunji Akinola, Kevin Holt, Harry Milne (Lee Hodson 77′), Ross Docherty, Cole McKinnon (Stuart Bannigan 57′), Kyle Turner (Anthony Weston 77′), Steven Lawless (Scott Tiffoney 57′) Brian Graham, Aidan Fitzpatrick (Anton Dowds 70′). Subs not used: Jamie Sneddon (G/k), Darren Brownlie, Danny Mullen, James Lyon.

Starting Eleven