It was a night to remember for Queen’s Park as Arbroath were seen off 6—0 at Hampden with Cillian Sheridan, Liam McLeish and Stuart McKinstry scoring their first goals for the club and Ruari Paton and Dom Thomas adding the others.

Head Coach Calum Davidson made just two changes to his starting line-up from Saturday’s game at Dundee United however he had everyone guessing about his formation when the team line-ups were announced.

Tommy Robson and Sheridan came in from the start with Ben McPherson and Jack Turner moving to the substitutes’ bench where they were joined by Lewis Reid but after a presentation to mark Calum Ferrie’s one hundred games for the Spiders Davidson’s line-up took shape.

Louis Longridge was deployed at right wing-back, Robson on the left of a three-man defence and Jack Thomson was restored to a midfield role with Sheridan supporting Paton in attack.

Thomas kicked off with QP shooting towards the East Stand and the skipper was involved again quickly as he tried a deft pass to Paton however it was intercepted.

With just four minutes gone Queen’s took the lead as the new look forward line clicked together with Thomas slipping a pass down the right-hand side of the box to Sheridan who scampered clear before unselfishly squaring to PATON who stroked the ball into the net.

Eighteen goal Paton came close to goal 19 for the season just two minutes later as he wriggled clear at the edge of the box only for his shot to be blocked by an outstretched defensive leg.

With 11 minutes played Josh Scott showed fine skill as he took a cross-field pass in his stride and then volleyed towards goal with his effort just flashing over.

Sixty seconds later it looked like a second for Queen’s, and a first for Sheridan, as he took control of a Robson cross as it bounced around the area and delicately chipped over Max Boruc only for Scott Stewart to pop up and hook the ball clear with the in-line assistant referee not interested in claims that the ball had crossed the line.

Scott and SHERIDAN were not to be denied for long as they combined on 15 minutes to make it 2-0 with the wing-back sending over a cross and the striker sliding in to supply the finish.

As Queen’s kept on pushing and probing Sheridan teed up Thomas for a shot that was deflected pass before meeting the resultant corner with a header that cleared the bar.

Another goal arrived midway through the opening half as Sheridan played a one-two with Robson and then picked out PATON from the left this time and number 19 for the season was grabbed with a first-time finish.

Incredibly it was almost four on 28 minutes with only the legs of Boruc denying Sheridan his second goal of the evening.

Arbroath threatened on 32 minutes when Charlie Reilly pounced and took the ball past Ferrie however Danny Wilson was on hand to take control as Reilly fired across goal.

The Red Lichties were not just accepting the score-line and Reilly burst clear three minutes from the break and Ferrie had to make a fine stop with his left leg to keep out the Arbroath man’s low shot.

Half-time – Queen’s Park 3 Arbroath 0

Will Tizzard, watched by the pupils from Caledonia Primary School, who he visited last week as part of the club’s ‘Tickets for Schools’ programme was brought on at half-time for Wilson.

Four minutes into the second half it was four for the hosts as THOMAS latched onto a long ball up the park from Ferrie and controlled it on his chest before lobbing over the advancing Boruc.

Sheridan came close with two flicked efforts before being replaced by McLeish ten minutes into the restart with Paton creating a chance shortly afterward for Longridge however the visiting defence regrouped and the opening was closed.

There was a magic moment on 62 minutes for MCLEISH when he grabbed his first ever senior goal after another long ball from Ferrie caused uncertainty in the visiting defence and the Academy Graduate took the ball away from Boruc and rolled it into the empty net.

With 19 minutes left Ferrie watched a Mark Stowe free-kick curl over his bar before play switched back to the other end and Queen’s forced a couple of corners with Tizzard inches out from nodding in a Jack Turner delivery.

Arbroath substitute Leighton McIntosh tried to catch Ferrie out with a dipping volley from 25 yards on 82 minutes however the home shot-stopper was alert and in the right place to save.

With five minutes left there was another first time goalscorer for Queen’s as Alex Bannon dropped a 40-yard pass in-between the visiting defence and Boruc and that allowed STUART MCKINSTRY to take control.

The substitute took the ball past Boruc and then kept it in play before side-stepping a defender and then finally shooting into the net.
McLeish was inches away from grabbing his second with a late header however there were few complaints.

Queen’s Park – Calum Ferrie, Louis Longridge, Alex Bannon, Danny Wilson (Will Tizzard 46), Tommy Robson, Josh Scott, Jack Thomson, Sean Welsh (Jack Turner 68), Dom Thomas (Mackenzie Carse 76), Ruari Paton (Stuart McKinstry 76), Cillian Sheridan (Liam McLeish 54)
Unused substitutes – Jack Wills (G/k), Ben McPherson, Cameron Bruce, Lewis Reid.

Arbroath – Max Boruc, Gordon Walker, Conor Teale, Ricky Little (Darren Lyon 46), Scott Stewart, David Gold, Adam MacKinnon (Craig Slater 56), Innes Murray (Leighton McIntosh 56), Michael McKenna (Kyle Robinson 61), Charlie Reilly (Mark Stowe 65), Ryan Dow
Unused substitutes – Derek Gaston (G/k), Jay Bird.

Referee – Colin Steven.

Starting Eleven